The Strava affect...is it dangerous ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I don't know many people who explicitly chase segments on strava, although it is a social tool, the essence of strava is sharing data, so those who are naturally competitive will read the data and compete against what they see as the competition. Segments are just one aspect of that, if you removed segments people would soon find another way to compete. Some people do realise how futile segment chasing is and just use strava as a social tool and to monitor their own performance and that of friends and club members without it being a constant race.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Strava is a victim of its own success. The larger the user base, the more morons, the more stupid and/or dangerous segments and the more accidents related to said morons chasing times on these stupid segments.

That is an inherent problem with anything like Strava, you need a healthy user base to create the content (segments) but when the user base gets larger, everything gets diluted with duplicates and poor quality contributions etc.

Strava could combat this, maybe they are working on it, but I see no indication of such. They seem to prefer disclaimers to actual action, i.e. algorithms to limit what can and can not be created.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I use Strava to track my rides and to improve my personal performance.

I am not a podium (top 10) rider, getting a new PR is nice, but I am not going to start doing silly things to get in the top 10 (most of my miles are done on my commute and I am of the opinion that we don't need other road users seeing reckless actions being taken).

I don't know where segments start and finish in my head, as I don't take the time to memorise that sort of thing, so I do not worry about beating segments when I am out on a ride (although I do like to challenge myself and push quite hard over the course of a ride).

However I do rather enjoy uploading my rides and being pleasently surprised if I do get some PR's and a new higher average speed (as it shows that I am improving little by little).

IncoherentJeff

Dangerous segments can be reported, they are not deleted but Strava remove the Leaderboard.
Example: http://www.strava.com/segments/1025261
This is on the Tissington Trial and includes a section where a railway bridge no longer exists. Therefore to protect the other trail users the steep decent & accent have signs requiring cyclists dismount, barriers to go around and a gate at either side. Someone's flagged it as hazardous, it's been replaced by 2 segments ending before & starting after the hazard, much more sensible.

As for segments with traffic lights. If it's red it's not your day, try again another day.

I've also seen a long steep descents near me http://www.strava.com/segments/2838897 38.7mph average!
Wouldn't catch me doing it especially on such a busy road but each to their own.
Think I'll stick to the motorbike & leathers for speeds over 30mph. The road rash if it goes pete tong doesn't bare thinking about!

Last edited:

Misusawa

I use strava for two things, First, it keeps track of how far i have actually rode on my bike. That way i can compare month to month. Secondly it gives me a chance to shave a few seconds to a minute off any rides over a certain distance when i'm not just bumbling up the road. I don't really go in for the competitiveness but i would like to ride a bit faster

Kies

I am not a podium (top 10) rider, getting a new PR is nice, but I am not going to start doing silly things to get in the top 10 (most of my miles are done on my commute and I am of the opinion that we don't need other road users seeing reckless actions being taken).

I don't know where segments start and finish in my head, as I don't take the time to memorise that sort of thing, so I do not worry about beating segments when I am out on a ride (although I do like to challenge myself and push quite hard over the course of a ride).

However I do rather enjoy uploading my rides and being pleasently surprised if I do get some PR's and a new higher average speed (as it shows that I am improving little by little).

Couldn't agree MORE! :thumbsup

Tyke

I do exactly the same it`s great. I don`t think Strava is dangerous but some of the idiots using it are. You have to finish the section to get a K.O.M getting killed on the way only gets you a R.I.P

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I think you just have to weigh up the risks. Here in the Peak District there are plenty of safe, fast descents like Snake Pass, Holme Moss, Saddleworth Moor. But there are also some extremely sketchy ones (Strines N to S springs immediately to mind). As a stocky guy I am up there on the safe descents but I don't even try on the sketchy ones.
Having said that you do still take some marginal decisions when you have a chance on a downhill (like with a decent tailwind) and you need to be mindful not to push the envelope too far

OP
OP
Sully

Sully

Über Member
Very interesting hearing your thoughts, I'm surprised and happy at how much sense is shown in here :biggrin:

Moda

Posted a similar thread recently.

Admission: I've got 1 long fast down hill with a set of traffic lights about 20% along the route. Was doing about 25mph when the lights turned orange.... Strava 'made me' think it was worth it so kept going and passed them on red. The traffic on the other road had started moving and for a brief second I thought I was a gonna. Ended up having to stop I was so shaken.

I now have a braking point.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Strava is only dangerous if you allow it to be.
At the end of the day its your choice. More than likely you're a dangerous person rather than it being the program. The program cant make choices for you.

Top Bottom