The Struggle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doctornige

Watching BBC4 doc. right now on great British drives. There is a road featured called The Struggle in the Lakes (Kirkstone Pass). 3 miles with more than 1000ft of ascent. I don't suppose anyone here has tried to go up it? ... on a bike of course.

HovR

Über Member
Not that particular road, but I've done 700 feet ascent in just over 1.6 miles, on a 5 speed (in my display picture). It takes a bit of effort.

Tried a few weeks ago, when I was there. Too hard for me at the moment, it's pretty sustained all the way up. Managed quite a few of the 13%/15% chunks but I'd have to be seriously fitter to do it all, especially the top 20/25% section. It was fun though, quite a bit of snow on the road and thick fog near the top. I did it with my son as a little adventure for him.

I'm sure a few on here have done it all though.

fimm

Veteran
I've been driven up it. My boyfriend has cycled up it - or is the other route up the pass he's cycled? He's done the Fred Witton but I don't think that goes up The Struggle, but I think one of the Lake District triathlons he did went over it.

Edited to add - no, the race I'm thinking of comes up from the other side.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have driven up this many times on the way to Ullswater... it's hairy enough in a car !!

Climbing the Kirkstone Pass from Ullswater must be a nice ride too, although coming down the other way could heat up your rims a bit - especially dodging the sheep.

sam_g

Regular
I've ridden it, aye... Part of a 70 mile ride IIRC, fecking shattered by the end of the ride...

In true Lake Distrcit fashion, I also know 2 of the people in the Pub at the top on that BBC program....

Top Bottom