The Subway E and other Carrera E bikes thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Ive never tried the Raleigh or the Cube, so can't honestly say.

What I can say is that the Subway is solid, robust, honest performing and no nonsense - no kne ho's tried one has failed to be impressed. Spending double won't get you double the bike. Well worth a look.

The only real fly in the ointment is the Subway's battery capacity. At 317Wh it isn't huge, but it isnt the smallest either. If every single ride you do is in excess of 60 or 70 miles then it might not be for you. Otherwise, its not a problem. Ive not managed to flatten it completely yet - even with my mass to chug about Its still good for 45+ miles of normal use, and much more if carefully rationed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The Subway? Very well. Im the thick end of 19 stone and it has no problem assisting me up the steepest hills.
Are they the steepest hills to be found in the UK, or just the steepest hills in the relatively flat area that you live in! :okay:

Also, you are known to have legs like tree trunks so presumably you are giving the bike two or three hundred watts of assistance up those inclines? :whistle:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Relative flat is all relative. My little corner of Poshire isnt exactly Snowdonia, but it still has some decent elevation changes - there is no higher point between here and the North sea.

I am a strong, albeit not especially fast, climber and the boost the assistance gives is notable.

When I was looking for a new ebike (got my old one over 10 years ago) I started at Halfords
really didn't like them - either just the geometry
or look
or more likely an inbuilt distrust of big companies

ended up getting a Raleigh from the LBS - Long story but ended up with a Motus
Which is an amazing bike - not totally robust but if I insist on falling off it and then letting it blow over onto the gears when I parked it badly that ain't Raleigh's fault - but they could put better tyres on it!!
But otherwise I love it - and it will roll forever on a flat road with no wind

and, of course, the Bosch motor setup is great - as long as it doesn't go wrong which seems to be unlikely (fingers crossed!!!)

I don;t see a lot of ebikes on the road/paths around here - most of then are conversions. The rest are Carrera and I still don;t like the way they look - and anyway they are mostly ridden by teenagers (where do they get the money????)

But But But

My wife has a Carrera CrossCity-e - folding ebike thingy
Really can not fault it
OK - rear hub drive with a 'torque sensor' which really just detects pedal revs - so easy to fool into doing all the work while you simply revolve the pedals in a reassuringly calm manner but if you drop the assist level it responds well
also cheapo power meter so shows one LED because you are using power going up a steep hill - then magically goes back to 3 LEDs when you get to the top
but you get used to it and it feels good

She uses it very little so I take it out every few weeks because I feel sorry for it - takes ages to deplete the battery - almost as long as my Motus - and I run the Carrera on max assist to exercise the battery so it works damn well

When we went to Cornwall on holiday lastyear we folded it up and chucked it in the car
I can't sit in the cottage all day while my wife 'relaxes' so I took it on a few local runs - and you know Cornwall - God lost his levelling kit when his designed that county
CrossCity-e ate up everything I put in its way!!!

wouldn't try to go huge distance on it - but damn thing works just fine!!

p.s. bought on a £200 offer - so damn cheap
think they were about to change to a new motor - ours is a Bafang motor - I think the current may be different
but anyway - good working ebike for £650 was a damn good deal!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Relative flat is all relative. My little corner of Poshire isnt exactly Snowdonia, but it still has some decent elevation changes - there is no higher point between here and the North sea.

I am a strong, albeit not especially fast, climber and the boost the assistance gives is notable.
I am researching for my bubble pal who is thinking of getting into e-biking this year. She is half your weight but not really keen to make huge efforts on our steep local hills. A decent e-bike should enable her to ride to some great places with me.

The alternative to buying a ready-made e-bike is to convert her bike, for example with a kit like THIS.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The HESC and HESC+ motors are geared, so have good torque for climbing as they're always in an efficient operating range. Your chum would do nicely on one.

jags

Guru
Ive never tried the Raleigh or the Cube, so can't honestly say.

What I can say is that the Subway is solid, robust, honest performing and no nonsense - no kne ho's tried one has failed to be impressed. Spending double won't get you double the bike. Well worth a look.

The only real fly in the ointment is the Subway's battery capacity. At 317Wh it isn't huge, but it isnt the smallest either. If every single ride you do is in excess of 60 or 70 miles then it might not be for you. Otherwise, its not a problem. Ive not managed to flatten it completely yet - even with my mass to chug about Its still good for 45+ miles of normal use, and much more if carefully rationed.
Drago ive never tried the raleigh or cube im searching for a good ebike this past year andi narrowed it down to raleigh and cube,i was put off with carrara after watching those videos guy got refund on both bikes.
but as you say the subway seems a different animal so no harm looking.
thanks for the heads up ill pop up to halfords next week .

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
If you browse the Pedelec forum youll find people who've had trouble with bother Raleigh and Cube as well... If you avoid a model of ebike because someone with a Pooptube channel has had problems you'll never own one.

Ive done over 2000 miles in 6 months on mine, and it has its work cut out shiftng my weight, and its been most satisatory indeed. I dom't give a Tommy Tit what may or may not have happened to someone else, I can only speak as I find.

I presume @matiz is enjoying his.

Last edited:

matiz

Guru
If you browse the Pedelec forum youll find people who've had trouble with bother Raleigh and Cube as well... If you avoid a model of ebike because someone with a Pooptube channel has had problems you'll never own one.

Ive done over 2000 miles in 6 months on mine, and it has its work cut out shiftng my weight, and its been most satisatory indeed. I dom't give a Tommy Tit what may or may not have happened to someone else, I can only speak as I find.

I presume @matiz is enjoying his.

Mine has definitely exceeded expectations so far, I'm glad I didn't pay twice the price for something else with similar performance.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
As I understand it, they are identical in every respect aside from...

1. The handlebar display - the 2.0 has an LCD display while the 1.0 has a more old fashioned looking LED unit. I think the 2.0 has 4 modes instead of the 1.0's 3 modes, and has some extra data functionality.

2. The chainset - the 2.0 uses a revised HESC chainset, but its still torque sensing like the 1.0.

Not the bike itself, but the charger on the 1.0 had a docking port system that was easy to use. On the 2.0 I think (perhaps @matiz will confirm) they have reverted to a more typical charger with a plug on the end.

Otheriwse same frame, same wheels, some motor, same contoller, same battery, same seat, same hamdlebars, same tyres, same...you get the idea. They ride ride identically, aside from the extra increment in the 2,0's mode selector.

Last edited:

jags

Guru
As I understand it, they are identical in every respect aside from...

1. The handlebar display - the 2.0 has an LCD display while the 1.0 has a more old fashioned looking LED unit. I think the 2.0 has 4 modes instead of the 1.0's 3 modes, and has some extra data functionality.

2. The chainset - the 2.0 uses a revised HESC chainset, but its still torque sensing like the 1.0.

Not the bike itself, but the charger on the 1.0 had a docking port system that was easy to use. On the 2.0 I think (perhaps @matiz will confirm) they have reverted to a more typical charger with a plug on the end.

Otheriwse same frame, same wheels, some motor, same contoller, same battery, same seat, same hamdlebars, same tyres, same...you get the idea. They ride ride identically, aside from the extra increment in the 2,0's mode selector.
i was going to ask about the display i like it centre of stem if thats possible. pedals and saddle ill change tyres will be changed as well i reckon ,but better not get ahead of meself .its been probably 8 years since i cycled i have bad back the hills were killing me so the Ebike sounds like it might get me back in the saddle .i loved me cycling cycled in italy france spain uk ireland man i miss it.anyway ill let you know how i get on.thanks for heads up.
jags.

matiz

Guru
The charger is like a kettle lead now slots in to the battery very easily , the LCD display is on the left of the handlebars I prefer it there it's got a easy to use up and down switch to flip through the four power modes but you could easily slide it across if you prefer it more central

Top Bottom