The Subway E and other Carrera E bikes thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I suspect you're right. As in the OP, im a maintenance engineer, its one of my first thoughts with new machinery, what needs doing to extend its working life
My early career was electronics services. I like to check/improve working life of my equipment. A tinkerer. I will pull brakes off a new car in the first year to ensure enough copper grease on bolts etc, so when I come to service my job is easier.

My ebike, when it arrives will be stripped down a bit and I'll lubricate bearings, pivot points. I'll drop motor out, improve electrical connectors whilst doing minor upgrades.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Andy is my kind of guy. I love to see machines cared for and maintained dilligently, extending their lifetime far beyond the norm. Its better value for money, less stressful, less damaging to the environment, and damn satisfying.

daisyj

Über Member
It’s great to read some positive experiences about the Carrera Subway E. I’m seriously considering buying one but am cautious as I’ve read that some people have experienced problems with the motor. Are people here who own one still happy with its performance and reliability?

matiz

Guru
It’s great to read some positive experiences about the Carrera Subway E. I’m seriously considering buying one but am cautious as I’ve read that some people have experienced problems with the motor. Are people here who own one still happy with its performance and reliability?
Had mine since March and used it daily for shopping and leisure rides with no problems at all, I'm very happy with mine .

gbb

Legendary Member
The only known issue with the motors is not actually the motor but the electronics or battery that feed it. Cut outs (screen goes blank, motor stops delivering power) are / were an annoying but not catastrophic problem. I found taping the battery to its holder appears to have stopped it altogether. Hardly ideal but hey ho. Otherwise, the motor itself seems to be a strong unit.

Mine is the first generation Crossfire with the bigger battery, does anyone with the newer battery have cut out problems ?

daisyj

Über Member
Thanks for giving clarity on the reported problems. I’m feeling more reassured. I had a non electric subway a few years ago and loved it. It was the perfect fit for me so I’m probably going to go for it.

daisyj

Über Member
Here it is. I took it for a half hour spin this afternoon and loved it. Battery now charging to full so I can take it out properly tomorrow. (Seat is now adjusted and higher since pic!)

Attachments

• 76848E6F-3BA7-4C91-A1DF-AF6BD6276E19.jpeg
    76848E6F-3BA7-4C91-A1DF-AF6BD6276E19.jpeg
    181.1 KB · Views: 48

daisyj

Über Member
Fantastic. The Subway is a brilliant all round tool. I hope oumget many happy miles from it.
Thank you, I took it for another spin today and loved it. Off to the Lake District with it for a few days at the weekend :smile:.

Last edited:

daisyj

Über Member
This may be a silly question and I might be doing something wrong but I’m trying to remove the battery from my Carrera Subway E to charge and I can’t unlock it. I removed it once when I bought it earlier this week and it was fiddly. Now I can’t seem to do is at all. I’ve tried all three keys and a squirt of WD-40 Has anyone got any ideas? I will take it back to the shop if it’s not me that’s the cause!

matiz

Guru
This may be a silly question and I might be doing something wrong but I’m trying to remove the battery from my Carrera Subway E to charge and I can’t unlock it. I removed it once when I bought it earlier this week and it was fiddly. Now I can’t seem to do is at all. I’ve tried all three keys and a squirt of WD-40 Has anyone got any ideas? I will take it back to the shop if it’s not me that’s the cause!

I found it fiddly to remove the battery at first, what I do now is hold the key in my left hand turned anticlockwise as far as it will go then firmly gripping the battery slide it upwards along the downtube once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature, good luck.

CXRAndy

Guru
The battery and holder could a bit snug in fitment. A few removals should help loosen up. You could also use a carbon lubricant, by using a pencil and rub a few contact points. Its an excellent dry lubricant

daisyj

Über Member
I found it fiddly to remove the battery at first, what I do now is hold the key in my left hand turned anticlockwise as far as it will go then firmly gripping the battery slide it upwards along the downtube once you have done it a few times it becomes second nature, good luck.
Thank you, that description really helped, it worked!

Top Bottom