The Subway E and other Carrera E bikes thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Found them!

https://www.wiggle.com/p/lifeline-narrow-road-mudguard-set

Trust me, they fit...just. They're 48mm wide so cover the nominally 50mm Kendas perfectly.

gbb

Legendary Member
Well, a failure that risks the bike being unusable If my fix doesn't hold.
A little background...
It's been effectively an all weather commuter, brought in 2018 I think and its done around 6k + miles. my son used it right through the winters of 2019 and 2020 and never really been spared and dare I say, slightly abused.
My son said today (he uses it almost all the time now)...the screens got an error message, the motor doesn't work.
Oh, started looking , quickly realised there's a collet/space/ keep-ring that sits on the axle either side and locates the wheel in the dropouts to hold the hub in the correct place They're both broken and the wheelniuts have come loose allowing the wheel to drop, pulling the motor cable plug/socket apart.
Two pieces of cast monkey metal, quite corroded where they've broken so they've been cracked a long time.Ive managed to offer it all up and lock down the nuts, hopefully it'll hold.
A quick look online, you can find HESC spares...but not these spacers (so far )

So it may be nearing the end for this bike, I hardly use it anymore. I did consider just going to Halfords and buy a new one but...I havnt got room in the shed, plus winter is coming, I'm even less likely to use it that I already was :smile:

Dadam

Oh, started looking , quickly realised there's a collet/space/ keep-ring that sits on the axle either side and locates the wheel in the dropouts to hold the hub in the correct place They're both broken and the wheelniuts have come loose allowing the wheel to drop, pulling the motor cable plug/socket apart.
Two pieces of cast monkey metal, quite corroded where they've broken so they've been cracked a long time.Ive managed to offer it all up and lock down the nuts, hopefully it'll hold.
A quick look online, you can find HESC spares...but not these spacers (so far )

Do you mean anti rotation washers? Do they look like these or similar?
They’re a fairly standard item for hub motor e-bikes. I’m aware of 10x12mm and 10x14 sizes but there may be others.

gbb

Legendary Member
Do you mean anti rotation washers? Do they look like these or similar?
They’re a fairly standard item for hub motor e-bikes. I’m aware of 10x12mm and 10x14 sizes but there may be others.

Yay, visually different but it's to do the same job.
Many thanks....

gbb

Legendary Member
I got the generic kit,,,,it won't work, the existing make up won't allow iNever mind, it was only £8 to find out.
Better news, I've researched it to death and found someone in Pedelecs (a few actually)that have had the same issue and there is a kit (£30) of correct parts but only available from a distributor so you have to convince Halfords to order something that not normally on their system, I will see how that goes.

Bike is off the road, without these anti rotation parts, it will tear out the cable.

gbb

Legendary Member
I got the generic kit,,,,it won't work, the existing make up won't allow iNever mind, it was only £8 to find out.
Better news, I've researched it to death and found someone in Pedelecs (a few actually)that have had the same issue and there is a kit (£30) of correct parts but only available from a distributor so you have to convince Halfords to order something that not normally on their system, I will see how that goes.

Bike is off the road, without these anti rotation parts, it will tear out the cable.

Well, as much as Halfords get a hard time, while I did the homework,went down today and presented the guy in the cycling section with a part number (wsuwsu01)...plumbed it in his system,
yep, we can certainly get it, may take a day or two if it's at our Central depot or a week or so if we have to get it from external sources...
No problem, says I.
I'm afraid it's £28 sir
No problem, I'm very happy it's available at all.

Very polite and efficient ,

In 5 years roughly, a couple chains, a few problems but 6000 miles odd later, I don't think £28 is anything to grumble about .

gbb

Legendary Member
Yay, just picked up the parts....
20231117_154819.jpg

Little job tonight then...
They stop the rear wheel trying to rotate, obviously the motor overcomes however tight you do up the nuts. £28, I'm not complaining

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Had my Subway E for four years today. 6600 miles, two chains (new one has just gone on this morning), one tyre, all due to fair wear and tear.

Battery appears to work as well as when new, and the bike has behaved faultlessly in the time I have owned it, albeit I've been  very careful not to knock the exposed and vulnerable torque sensor.

Had my Subway E for four years today. 6600 miles, two chains (new one has just gone on this morning), one tyre, all due to fair wear and tear.

Battery appears to work as well as when new, and the bike has behaved faultlessly in the time I have owned it, albeit I've been  very careful not to knock the exposed and vulnerable torque sensor.

When you say new chain has gone on this morning is that the second or third chain? Even if 3300 miles each chain that is brilliant life out of a chain.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It's the second new chain I've fitted today.

That is indeed very good for a chain, particularly for me. I guess that's one of the joys of the hub motor.

Good info
I have had 3 chains on my Raleigh Motus with a Bosch mid drive - if you include the original

Went over 9000 miles over the summer and I reckon the current chain is probably getting a bit stretched and may need replacing befroe the summer starts
Not bad - especially as mid drives are hard on chains!

Good info
I have had 3 chains on my Raleigh Motus with a Bosch mid drive - if you include the original

Went over 9000 miles over the summer and I reckon the current chain is probably getting a bit stretched and may need replacing befroe the summer starts
Not bad - especially as mid drives are hard on chains!

Some of the Motus models I think have low power mid-drive motors of only 40Nm and 50Nm and when you take into account of gearing often have less torque than most hub motors so are actually pretty decent for chain life its really the 80Nm plus e-mountain bikes that chew through chains and have a high frequency of chain snaps. Also I'm not sure but I think Drago may have stated he is quite heavy and heavyweight riders are also a huge factor into chain wear that can massively accelerate it so I think in that context its very good chain life. The hub motor will basically make the rider appear to be much lighter with regards chain wear. The Subway has 60Nm-65Nm maximum torque I think which is at the high end of hub motor power which takes a greater percentage of wear off the drivetrain compared to most hub motors which I think are more around 40Nm on average. The Subway operates like most mid-drive motors in that a torque sensing bottom bracket senses the amount of power the rider puts in and the more rider power the more power is sent to the motor. It gives you that bionic legs feel. Only providing power when you really need it is also helps maximise the range of the battery pack and by decreasing the discharge rate on average helps extend the lifespan of the battery pack itself.

I personally think the Suntour system is pretty decent and Halfords have sold an unbelievable number of such ebikes in the UK as it features on quite a few of their e-bike models and Halfords have quite a large slice of the UK ebike market. At one point 40% of bike sales by volume was by Halfords in the UK a huge figure of which 11% were ebikes and that figure was from maybe 2 or 3 years ago.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed. During the lockdowns etc of 2020 Halfords reckoned at one point they were selling more Carrera ebikes in the UK than every other make put together.

Yet browse an ebike forum and Suntour are far from being the most complained about e drivetrain. In fact I had more problems myself with my Bosch equipped Trek, which now resides with my Dad as his bike.

They're not faultless (I'm very careful of my torque sensor, although spares are now thankfully easy to come by) but nowhere near the level or the myth that has arisen around their supposed unreliability.

Top Bottom