The Suffolk Villages Bike Ride Sunday 27th June 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

Big A said:
Hi,

when is the route made available? Wouldn't mind signing up for this.

Hi. All three routes are way-marked and have regular marshal points but you do also get a map for the route you're doing when you arrive on the day if you want it.

That said, I think there is a map of one of the routes on the Stow Lions site. Best place for updates on the ride is the FaceBook page (link in my signature)

Big A

OliverAmoros said:
Hi. All three routes are way-marked and have regular marshal points but you do also get a map for the route you're doing when you arrive on the day if you want it.

That said, I think there is a map of one of the routes on the Stow Lions site. Best place for updates on the ride is the FaceBook page (link in my signature)

cool, thanks. I've just plugged those routes into my GPS and both appear to be 75K. I'll be doing the 45K but would really like to get the route before the day so that i can stick it in the garmin.

Roll on the 27th!!

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

Big A said:
cool, thanks. I've just plugged those routes into my GPS and both appear to be 75K. I'll be doing the 45K but would really like to get the route before the day so that i can stick it in the garmin.

Roll on the 27th!!

Maps of all three routes are available on request from the organisers, Lions of Stowmarket - for those that want a copy prior to the event:

Email: bikeride@stowlions.org.uk
Tel: 0845 8335114 (Brian Rowson)

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

As has been posted in the L2B thread.... Here are some essentials for this ride. Especially for those doing th3 75Km route!:

Bike (ha ha)
Suncream (hopefully)
Waterproof top (just in case)
Padded shorts
Tyre levers
Spare tube
Fluids (2 bottles)
Helmet
Gloves
Phone
Wallet
Camera (the organisers are appealing for people to send in their photos of the ride)
Food?

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

style over speed said:
Are there any good pubs for lunch on the short ride?

Good question!! I didn't know so had to get this answer shipped in :sad:...

"The answer is that there is food and drink at HQ and there is a good pub in Bacton.You would have to carry straight on instead of turning left to Earls Green,(about half way round),carry on about three quarters of a mile to The Bull and then re-join your route. Otherwise there is a pub near Elmswell station after you finish the ride"

Hope that helps! I'll be doing the 45k route which I think will pass one of these!

Oli

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

Here are the start times for riders who are registering on Sunday - Recommend you arrive 30mins early to get signed in!!!
75k = blue 8:30-9:30
45k = red 9:30-10:30
25k = green 10:30-11:30
See you there!

What a great day.

Drove up from the south coast after reading this post to enter with my wife (it's her longest ever ride and first for over a year). We had an excellent time. The signposting was the best I've seen on any ride on the UK and there were marshalls at any point where it either crossed a road with traffic or you may have gone the wrong way. Having said that the organisers must have found some of the quietest roads in Suffolk and combined them with beautiful countryside and lovely little villages. The whole atmosphere was very friendly and nobody that we passed or who passed us failed to say hello. If I had one minor criticism it would be that we couln't find the start, there was no actual address to put in the satnav but luckily we followed someone else with a bike rack on top of their car.

If it's on we'll certainly be back again next year; could you please arrange for similar weather.

BTW my wife completed the 75k but is suffering for it today....

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

Tremendous DustBowlRefugee! So glad you had a good time. And very well done to your wife! That's about 46/8miles??

We smashed last years number of riders and looks like we'll smash the sponsorship too!

Sorry you had trouble getting there. The address is published in various places but if you didn't register beforehand and get an entry pack then they could certainly be missed. Noted!

If you're on Facebook please join the Official page here. It's been really active in the run up to the ride and is a good way to get the info and updates (the post code is also on there :biggrin:

Yes! It's an annual ride and is already being planned for next year so you've got plenty of time to train and beat your time.

I will pass your kind comments and feedback on to the main organisers Lions Club of Stowmarket but feel free to do so yourself too. They're mostly retired volunteers and spend absolute untold hours planning and organising these events!

The weather was good wasn't it!

Top Bottom