The Swallows Nest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Any eggs laid will probably never hatch, Aluminium sucks up any heat faster than pretty much anything else (that is why they use it for heat sinks on electronic apparatus) and eggs need to be kept warm to develop.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A pic a day please @User9609 , this is good as the Steve Abraham thread, so needs updating as such :okay:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3721595, member: 9609"]the building works continue, they still seem to be building two nests at the same time, I suppose it may be two pairs (they all look the same) but I have never seen two active swallow nests this close before - I guess the male is building one and the feamale the other???? who knows - will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
I am going to guess the young will fledge 16 July, which is not leaving them much time for a second brood

sn03_zpsdjoeeelp.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Birdist!!!

Billy Wizz

Über Member
[QUOTE 3733327, member: 9609"]Day 11, starting to take shape now, a few more feathers and it will be ready for some eggs, I think we could see the first one by tues day or wednesday, she could be sitting by this time next week
sn11_zpsp6v6nql2.jpg

although I am still puzzled by all the other nest building, four nests in total - of course there may be more than one pair, although I doubt it, Swallows don't normally like to be too close to their neighbours.
sn11a_zpsnrh1zzfi.jpg
[/QUOTE]
I thought swallows made them muddy nests in the eaves of old schools and stuff not much of a bird watcher but like to see wildlife getting on.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I wonder who the feathers belonged to? Are birds quite choosy when it comes to selecting feathers for their nest, as all of those look quite similar or it's just they are all from the same place/bird?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I wonder who the feathers belonged to? Are birds quite choosy when it comes to selecting feathers for their nest, as all of those look quite similar or it's just they are all from the same place/bird?

You know.. that was going to be my question too.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

You know.. that was going to be my question too.

They are ruthless in their quest for feathers. Haven't you noticed the Bald Eagle?

:laugh:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
[QUOTE 3737965, member: 9609"]@ianrauk

I have heard a few different theories over the years - my favourite is they are usually white as they would be the ones most easily found. I have seen non white feathers in the nests before

Day 14
And we have the first egg
sn14_zpsusrvxhjd.jpg
[/QUOTE]
So, did she pick the right nest or the rung one?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3741078, member: 9609"]Day 16 - we now have three eggs in the nest, I would guess she will lay another one on Friday then start sitting - they don't start incubating the eggs until they are all laid, this ensures they all hatch at the same time and will then get fed equally.

I do worry about @raleighnut comments that the aluminium will suck the heat out of the eggs, this is not normally a problem we have had many successful nests on these ladders for many years, but this nest is very poorly built, probably the worst Swallows nest I have ever seen, normally there is a lot of mud and straw under the feathers, I am not sure there is anything under the feathers in this nest, and in comparison to previous nests there is not many feathers either.

sn16_zpsks58w1mi.jpg
[/QUOTE]
There is nothing you can do, if you interfere they will simply abandon. Just let nature take it's course.
The feathers may provide enough insulation to keep the eggs warm enough to hatch successfully, hope so anyway.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
[QUOTE 3741556, member: 9609"]I would never interfere - if they are not capable of making a good nest in a good place then they cant raise young that would likely do the same..

Anyway - DAY 17
A fourth egg has now been laid and she is now sitting - so there won't be much to report for the next 14 days.[/QUOTE]
Congratulations @User9609 You are going to be a quadruplets Dad. (Not counting the chickens yet ).

I'm looking forward to the pics of the chicks :popcorn:

Top Bottom