The tea leaves are out in force - beware!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This a house with frontage to the main road, just unlucky that an opportunist thief went past and saw it. Still, better to be careful.

I never leave my bikes out, well I did a couple of weeks ago - forgot the MTB was hanging on my 'wash station' at the side of the garage, then went shoping for a couple of hours. :whistle:

Reactions: C R

clid61

Veteran
True, £20 a bag is the average price. A bike might be worth several £100's but they will sell it for the price of a bag of gear.:sad:
Would that be Apidura gear :smile:? Seriously I was in Ashton today. Asked a nice man who was doing security for the market if I could leave my bike with him . Yeah no problem. Came out , no problem . Bunged him a fiver - food for thought , as they mostly seemed to older guys who want to get out , and on shoit money

clid61

Veteran
As an expat Australian my favourite fantasy is to plant a cluster of Gympie plants beneath the (street-facing) window of my shed and then listen to the screams of any would-be thief who tried to break in. A pretty little plant, Gympie. It grows in the rainforests up in Queensland. And the slightest touch of those pretty leaves will leave you howling in pain - for months. People have been known to beg to have their limbs amputated to get rid of the pain.

Just a thought....
Mmmmm Gympie , will they grow on the edge of the Pennines?

lane

Veteran
During the "proper" lock down noticed a sudden increase in reported bike (social media) thefts in this area. Then saw a report that the only area insurance claims during the lockdown was up was bike theft. When we started to come out of lock down and people were told to commute by bike and reports of higher bike sales and shortages of bikes for sale it was fairly obvious thefts would increase. Since I had my bikes stolen from my garage a couple of years ago my security is quite good. Not stopping at cafes either now so opportunities to steal my bikes is quite low. An area where "Stay Alert" might actually be helpful.

clid61

Veteran
I'm going to list my bike on ebay. Collection only , will meet within a reasonable of my house ( no car ) I usually do cash on collection but going with paypal . Reason 1, Less physical contact ,reason 2, Don' want some shister turn up at my house then says he doen't want it , and then knows where I live then turns up in the dead of night .....

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
I'm going to list my bike on ebay. Collection only , will meet within a reasonable of my house ( no car ) I usually do cash on collection but going with paypal . Reason 1, Less physical contact ,reason 2, Don' want some shister turn up at my house then says he doen't want it , and then knows where I live then turns up in the dead of night .....
Problem with Paypal for collection items is that they can do the item never received scam because you will not have proof you posted it.

midlife

Guru
Ask them for PayPal gift, gets round the PayPal protection bit.

midlife

Guru
Goes through equivalent as cash iirc. Done on your doorstep before handing it over. If you were a scammer you could keep the bike, close the door and it's like nothing has happened. It's why using gift on forums is a bit frowned upon.

Mr Whyte

It seems as though it`s the in thing bike thefts, we have also had a lot stolen here too even some of the NHS staff have had theirs stolen when they finish a shift come out to find bikes stolen.

Top Bottom