The throw away bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Some are in there because of a flat tire or a bad chain, which no one at home knows how to fix. Or derailleur problems. I once picked up a Schwinn in showroom new condition, 40 years old, at a sale. The old lady there said her husband had bought it for her, she just wasn't interested in cycling.

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

Let's face it, most bikes that are in skips are there for a reason.
true,but just sometimes theres a wee diamond

Sort of related,in the last few weeks I have picked up a Marin bear mountain an a Peugeot PH8 from Free cycle both in excellent condition,under the dirt of years.
Gave the Marin to a friend,but kept the Pug
Chris

Attachments

• Becks PM.jpg
    Becks PM.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCF0389.JPG
    DSCF0389.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 43

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Fixie...1_81?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1424653949&sr=1-81
I like this one, it's done a good many miles with my portly self on it, holds up well. Seems only an occasional offering on Amazon.

Let's face it, most bikes that are in skips are there for a reason.

1 "Joe public" ( no pun intended ) cannot repair a puncture and at £15 they wont take it to a cycle shop

2 they get left out in the rain and the chain goes red and stiff !!!!! and the tyres go flat

3 at £100 they can get a new one from the club , internet or halfords and the £25 to service an old bike is not economical

4 always lots of kids bikes with flat tyres and rusty chains - Kids grow up

keep them coming folks , more for me to cut up for trikes

I got a bmx with 14mm axles and disc brake a month ago - that the wheels for the tandem tadpole next on the build list sorted .

and 2 mountain bikes with full suspension and disc brakes - (2 once modified front hubs for front discs on a tadpole )
2 head tubes ( for 1 tadpole ) and 2 rear triangles with wheel and disc brakes ( 2 tadpoles )

total cost under £30 - I am a happy bunny

regards emma

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
They're all locked away I'm afraid, sorry... and they barely fall into the aforementioned price category :whistle:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
My home town plod have turned over the 'lost or stolen' bike problem to the local council. Recovered bikes, if unclaimed, are periodically auctioned, and if unsold, given to a local special needs workshop. I think it was to encourage the workshop to get the bikes rideable, and raise funds by selling them on. But all that happens is the workshop piles them up on their forecourt and waits for them to be re-stolen or rust away. What a waste.

Top Bottom