The Time Crunched Cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrVandal

Anybody read Chris Carmichael's (Lance Armstrong's Coach) book The Time Crunched Cyclist. It is a book written for those folk who can't send as much time on their bike as they use too, especially because of family, work and other commitments, but would still like to do well in races. It is based on high intensity training and takes up about 6 hours a week.

I like the idea of someone writing a training programme that helps people like me who have three children, mortgage, wife and involved in a few charities. Sometimes there is just no time to do the training you want, but there is still the will to compete.

Bought the book and may follow the programme and see what happens. Any advice?
:laugh:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Sorry I thought you were MarinYork for a minute then.

I haven't read the book, but I imagine the gist of it is 'Get out of breath. Lots.' :laugh:

I have a copy too.

The programs look pretty sensible. They're not for year-round use though. The programs are meant to be used only to build up to a "peak", and you can build up to such a peak once or twice a year. What they do: the programs give you a series of high-intensity workouts for about 8 weeks. Your body adapts to the demands, and by week 8 you've booked the maximum gain you can get from the program. The remaining couple of weeks of each program, you enjoy your peak fitness while you take part in competitions, do a long charity ride or go for some bicycle touring that demands a decent level of fitness. Then you back off, and you'll need to accept that your fitness level goes down a notch while you switch back to lower training intensities.

So the book doesn't offer a year-round program. The programs will only work if you maintain a reasonable fitness level in the first place, and occasionally want to work towards a peak - that stuff that you'll find in most books on training, but this book is geared towards getting into peak form with a relatively small time investment. Those 6 hours a week, by the way, do presume that you have the ability to keep on cycling - you'll need to find roads that allow for a workout largely uninterrupted by traffic, traffic lights and so on, or go for a turbo training session evey so often to get in some uninterrupted sessions.

Aside from that, the book has some advice on a general exercise regime (mainly core strength) and offers some programs to boost endurance if you suddenly find you have a few weeks with (a lot of) spare time.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
bump!

Sorry!
blush.gif

Thanks WimbledonCyclist! Thinking of getting it.. You mentioned the programs are to build up to a peak. I need a guide start reference. I was thinking if I could use it to to build up to a peak and then continue through the year by adapting the programs (change intensity, duration and frequency, etc) therefore improve/keeping fitness all year around? What do you think?

Anybody else has any more reviews or opinions?

zacklaws

Guru
I have a copy and found some good info in it and also plan on giving it a crack. Just recently I did the LHRT wherby you do a 30 min time trial and get the average for the last 20 mins to get your LHR, a week later I tried Ian Carmichael's version, two 8 mins all out, with 10 min rest between, and found only 1bpm difference with the other method. It was certainley far easier and not so demanding.

dubhghall

I have it, a lot of excellent infomation and I keep going back to it. I haven't stuck to any of the plans exactly to the letter but I have seen huge improvements in power so I would say they do work! :biggrin:

As said previously - it dropped off pretty quick too though once I slowed down!

Top Bottom