The time limit in the TDF

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
sorry if this sounds a dumb question but could somebody explain what the time limit in the TDF means ? I know if has got something to do with finishing inside and outside a certain time limit to stay in the tour

Milkfloat

An Peanut

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
sorry if this sounds a dumb question but could somebody explain what the time limit in the TDF means ? I know if has got something to do with finishing inside and outside a certain time limit to stay in the tour
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Tour#Time_limits says "Riders completing a stage may be eliminated if their time exceeds the time limit for the stage. The limit is defined as the winner's time plus a percentage, which depends on the type of stage and the winner's average speed. The time limit can be extended or the elimination can be waived if more than 20% of riders exceed the limit or for other reasons such as collisions or foul weather." - note it says "can be" and not "will be", though.

I think it's intended to stop riders dawdling all day over stages that don't suit them and being much more rested than the all-rounders who contest both flat sprints and punchy finishes, as well as stopping the green jersey presentation being hours after the others on summit finishes.

I guess it also means the road closures can be lifted earlier - going on too long would make the race less popular with non-fans along the route.

winjim

Smash the cistern
@HLaB You've edited @mjr s post to make it appear that he's making a stupid point (which he wasn't) and then posted an emoticon to indicate that you disagree with him. I don't think that's a particularly cool thing to do.
I took it as a cheeky dig at the race organisers for bias rather than a dig at @mjr.

Just out of interest, when was the last time that a French rider missed the cutoff and was treated preferentially the commissioners? Genuine question, as my knowledge is less than encyclopedic, so I'd like to know how recent it was.

Another thing to note is that the race jury comes from the UCI, not the race organisers, ASO.
No idea, many decades ago probably.

I can remember that the Tour organisers banned Virenque in 1999 and the UCI over-ruled this and he was allowed to race

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just out of interest, when was the last time that a French rider missed the cutoff and was treated preferentially the commissioners? Genuine question, as my knowledge is less than encyclopedic, so I'd like to know how recent it was.
I have absolutely no idea.

Another thing to note is that the race jury comes from the UCI, not the race organisers, ASO.
Pomme de terre, pomme de terre.

@HLaB You've edited @mjr s post to make it appear that he's making a stupid point (which he wasn't) and then posted an emoticon to indicate that you disagree with him. I don't think that's a particularly cool thing to do.
Sorry if you took it that way :sad: It was meant as a cheeky dig at the organisers and was purely in jest hence the :rolleyes:

Top Bottom