The today's weather where you are thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Whilst not going on a massive thread diversion, I have a contorted hazel being chopped down next year and didn't know if the trunk would be any good for making something.
So long as it is a reasonable diameter, it should be. Often the best wood for turning is wood that isn't very useful for other things, because the things that make it not easy to cut decent planks also give it great patterning.

I keep getting wood turning videos pop up on my Youtube. Very satisfying to watch

That is what got me interested in the first place. Even more satisfying to do.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I didn't think it was so windy this morning: till I turned the corner to the main road!
I had to stop several times during my 2 mile commute, I found it hard to pedal on the flat!
Then, when almost at work, my hat got blown away.
It's my favorite, so I run after it, got it eventually ^_^
All quiet now, it was not very windy when I left work either.

Gwylan

Veteran
My little lunchtime 25km circuit was adequate but windy.
Just enough layers, but my feet got wet early on. Then cold for the rest of the trip
Can we have some convention about when pubs and tea shops are open or closed?
2 pubs and a tea shop on my route and all were closed.

Gwylan

Veteran
They are closed whenever they see a wet and dirty cyclist coming up the road :smile:

A good conspiracy theory in the making.
They have secret detectors that see cyclists and enable them to close as you arrive.
The really clever ones have a system to release special pheromones (sp) as you approach. These raise a very high desire for cake and tea in the passing cyclist.
I learned this when I was abducted by alien lizards after they drugged me with a litre of Pernod.

A good conspiracy theory in the making.
They have secret detectors that see cyclists and enable them to close as you arrive.
The really clever ones have a system to release special pheromones (sp) as you approach. These raise a very high desire for cake and tea in the passing cyclist.
I learned this when I was abducted by alien lizards after they drugged me with a litre of Pernod.

SLight aside - I used to live near a town in North Wales
The best chippy was up in the top part of the town - near a little stone bridge over the river
We commented to the owner that we were planning to sit on the bridge parapet and eat it there

He commented that this was great for him as the smell and sight of the chips was the best advert he could have!

deuxfois

It's been 50 kph gusting to 100 in W.Yorks today - easing back slightly now. I've got a shared boundary fence with several posts rotten at the base, and propped up for much of its length - maybe 30 metres. Spent a few minutes this afternoon adding a couple more props - and the rest of the time expecting a catastrophic collapse. Seems to be holding - fingers crossed.
Forecast for tomorrow morning is for much less exciting weather. If I'm not picking up shattered shards of fence, I might go for a little bike ride. As we're not expecting visitors until Wednesday I can slip out with a clear conscience^_^

Have fun, everyone!

deuxfois

More Xmas rain today...
Yep. Wind had dropped, so I went out just as it was getting light, but then it rained, so just did a quick half hour or so.

But I did get this when I got back:
Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 14.46.05.png

Unexpected Xmas present 😃

Top Bottom