FNRttC The Tour 2017

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by mmmmartin, 20 Jan 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

There is a route alongside the coast, on the sea wall, that is a cycle route and quite rideable. From Whitstable to Reculver (ancient castle), thence Margate, Broadstairs, past Dumpton Gap, then to Ramsgate and from there southwards through the golf course at Sandwich, then through Deal. It's all very nice, not much on roads. Almost all is part of the 300k Oasts and Coasts - go to Tom's website and download the GPS track of the route - you might want to tweak it so you go round the North Foreland point (top right bit of Kent): http://www.kentaudax.co.uk/

For Maastricht, see this earlier post:

jiberjaber likes this.
  2. jiberjaber

jiberjaber Senior Member

Ace - got a room there! :smile: Suppose I need to book the rest of the route up now LOL :smile:

velovoice and ianmac62 like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

velovoice likes this.
  4. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

On the off-chance that anyone else fancies riding from Eindhoven to the Hook for the Saturday night ferry, this is the initial route idea I have (courtesy of the fietsersbond route planner, balanced route option). Also working on a route for the rest day. Trying to see how many border crossings I can fit in a 100 mile loop....;)

5. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

@StuAff - check that ferry from Moerdijk-Strijensas - the last one is at 5pm and they appear to be every two hours so if you miss the 3pm you have a long wait: there's a reason we're not going that way - Hence we'll be heading westwards a bit more and passing through Willemstad (where we may, or may not, take the little ferry across, depending on how time is passing).

StuAff likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

Those who have expressed an interest by emailing fridaystour2017@gmail.com will have received an email today.
    If you're interested it's not too late to join.

7. StuAff

Version two. There is a 'no ferries' option on the fietsersbond planner so I used that...another option is simply to reverse our route from day one in September. The 3pm ferry shouldn't have been a problem (I'm not going to be pootling) but best to avoid the risk.

8. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

It's a shame that @StuAff you won't be making the annual Fridays pilgrimage to http://www.rhoongolfcenter.nl/ - one year I went three times. Only once last year but Gordon and Olaf went a couple of times.

StuAff and ianmac62 like this.
  9. StuAff

I'm with Mark Twain on the subject of golf anyway- a good walk ruined.

10. ianmac62

ianmac62 Veteran

Golf doesn't ruin the coffee and excellent apple cake!

User1252 and mmmmartin like this.
  11. StuAff

Ah, forgot that!

ianmac62 likes this.
  12. StuAff

Updated route now featuring 19th hole (or rather to the nearest junction). Should have time enough!

13. StuAff

For those who might fancy a bike ride on rest day, I've been running through a few ideas. Here's the latest. A mere 2200ft of climbing in 102 miles!

mmmmartin likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

My thoughts centred on a pootle, followed by a longish lunch possibly accompanied by some wine.
    To each his own.

velovoice and StuAff like this.
  15. StuAff

Well, plans aren't that dissimilar...:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice