ITV4 or Eurosport ?

• ITV4

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • Eurosport

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Me, I'm a big fan of Eurosport. And this year they've really upped their game. Brian Smith has really come into his own as master tactician, Jonathan Edwards has been excellent as presenter, the two of them together have done some excellent post stage panel discussions with riders. The rolling commentary team has worked a treat, and the roving interview team of Juan Antonio, Laura and Ashley has been excellent. Loved the interview that Juan Antonio got from Steve Cummings after his near miss the other day. And of course the unbeatable 'been there, done that' insights from Kelly and Lemond.
Tuned into ITV4 yesterday, seemed very lacklustre by comparison. No top of the show discussion to set the scene, and much as I like hearing Ned and Dave as individual pundits, I'm really not convinced that they work as a commentary double act. On one of the most exciting stages of the race it all sounded a bit dry. The main reason I tuned in was to hear Philippa, or Pippa as Ned was calling her. But even she didn't seem to be adding much to the mix.
I listened to 70k to go then went back to Carlton and co.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I don't have Eurosport but quite happy with ITV4.

hoopdriver

Guru
I like David Millar's commentary on ITV4. He seems, to me, by far the most insightful and thoughtful of the commentators. I agree about Phillipa York. I didn't think she added much. It is a new gig for her though so nerves may be playing a part and anyone would need time to develop their own particular style and delivery so hopefully she'll settle in and improve. She would have a lot to offer especially in mountain stages. Dave seems to have been a natural.

I don't have Eurosport so can't vote.

I'm more than happy with the ITV4 coverage though, and have been for many years.

I think their current team of Imlach, Boardman, Boultimg and Millar are the best they've ever had and their highlights show at 7pm is particularly good.

I think this show has been the best program on any ITV channel for many years and really appreciate the fact that coverage is available on terrestrial.

Graham

SWSteve

Guru
Agree with Brian Smith comments, he gives insight from a different point of view to a former rider, and is interesting to hear.

Millar does a great job of spotting something quite small, and explaining the point of why it's happened, which is great racing insight.

Just get rid of Carlton Kirby already, Rob Hatch is meant to be there so bloody use him

ITV for me as well, I think Eurosport are trying too hard and it's a bit disjointed whereas ITV have got it right; I like Ned and David more than Eurosport commentators, especially that prize-winning wazzock Kirby who is more interested in himself than the race. I'm not really interested in interviews with riders so don't usually pay attention to those bits; even with me not paying attention the most common approach seems to be to "take one stage at a time"...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Eurosport in German is good - Karsten Migels especially - but a dubbed Jonathan Edwards is only slightly better than not dubbed, and they keep going to adverts at surprising times. ITV have really got the advert timings working most of the time now they've their own commentators, Ned Boulting is pretty sound although occasionally goes a bit P&P fluffing rider ID or resorting to reading the distance remaining and gaps, but Matt Rendell and Daniel Friebe are great reporters/analysts, while Millar, Boardman and Imlach are legends in their own ways.

wisdom

Guru
I totally agree.The highlights show is pitched just right they are all a good team.I like chris boardman encyclopedia it just adds another dimension.

pjd57

Veteran
I preferred Eurosport but it costs to get it on my TV.
I know streams etc are available but it's easier to just stick ITV 4 on now.

Top Bottom