The Tour o’ the Borders sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Just signed up for the the Tour o’ the Borders sportive, looks a very good route with good climbs in it.
Anybody else doing it, anybody done it in the past and do they have any advice? i know from the Kinross sportive thread that Get In The Van has signed up for it... with the kinross sportive being full it looks like it good be a good alternative sportive to the kinross one
http://tourotheborders.com/
Tour O’ The Borders, Sunday 14 April 2013

Start/finish: Peebles High School, Springwood Road, Peebles EH45 9HB
Distance: 112kms/70 miles, or shorter sportive 80km/49miles
Total ascent: 1465m/4800ft, shorter route 1114m/3654ft

Course info

The event will start and finish in the Borders town of PEEBLES, start town for the 2011 Tour of Britain, and centre for all manner of cycling pleasure. The ‘Tour o’ route will travel, mainly over quiet back roads, in and out of three main valleys and climb several stiff hills in this beautiful part of Scotland. The ride is over a distance of approx 112kms and will be of a challenging but rewarding nature – with climbs such as Witchy Knowe, Ashkirk Heights and Berry Bush to name a few. The shorter route is approx 80km, and uses much of the main route, with a short-cut to make the shorter sportive distance. The short route is still a proper challenge, with tough climbs and some cracking scenery to take your mind off the efforts.
Please note this is not a closed road circuit, but it will be clearly signposted throughout.
The event will start and finish at Peebles High School, where full changing and shower facilities will be available. Catering will be provided on site and free car parking is available.

Waspie

Über Member
Just signed up for the the Tour o’ the Borders sportive, looks a very good route with good climbs in it.
Anybody else doing it, anybody done it in the past and do they have any advice? i know from the Kinross sportive thread that Get In The Van has signed up for it... with the kinross sportive being full it looks like it good be a good alternative sportive to the kinross one

I've not done the event before but it's on roads I know well. Cracking route and you won't see many cars.
Climbs - Paddy Slacks and the Berry Bush are long but the gradient never gets too bad, Paddy Slacks the steeper of the two. Woll Rigg and Witchy Knowe are a bit trickier. I find Woll Rigg can be hard work, it can be difficult to get into a rhythm as the gradient changes all the time and there is a nasty steep ramp half way up which can be tricky if your legs are tired. Witchy Knowe is probably the steepest climb overall and it can look quite daunting from the direction that you are doing it as you can see all the way to the top, the approach to the summit is probably the steepest part as well, or maybe it just feels like that!

http://app.strava.com/activities/5215126

If you enjoy this event, you might want to consider the Ken Laidlaw sportive which I presume will run in August in 2013, it covers some of the same roads.

Get In The Van

indeed i have signed up for it!:thumbsup: looking forward to it a lot, picked up my new steed yesterday, a Forme Longcliffe 4.0, hopefully get out for a decent spin over the weekend.
just doing the 49 mile route as its my first one.
you signed up for the long route Tug?

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Sure have, looking forward to the pain already...I`ve not been on my bike for 4 weeks now, so i`ll need to get out soon(blame the beer, Xfactor, the walking dead and boardwalk empire)...i`ve signed up for the evans ride which think is before this one, twice up the dukes pass will soon get me sorted out for this one....Ive taken a 2 weeks of my work at the start of march to get me really ready for the sportives

I`ve only done one sportive before

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

About 150 have signed up so far

DaveK

Thanks for posting this, I'm taking up more cycling and will be doing my first sportive next year. I'm from the Borders so this one is local to me, and is indeed on very quiet roads (I often cycle around Roberton for an hour and I usually only see half a dozen cars during that time)

I'm going to book this one, but haven't decided on the 49 or 70 mile. Should I be sensible and do the 49 since it will be my first? I know I could do the 70 though if I take my time.

The bike I have just now is, shall we say, low spec (downtube shifters and fairly heavy) and didn't cost me much. Does this really matter?

Top Bottom