The Tour o’ the Borders sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Get In The Van

Thanks for posting this, I'm taking up more cycling and will be doing my first sportive next year. I'm from the Borders so this one is local to me, and is indeed on very quiet roads (I often cycle around Roberton for an hour and I usually only see half a dozen cars during that time)

I'm going to book this one, but haven't decided on the 49 or 70 mile. Should I be sensible and do the 49 since it will be my first? I know I could do the 70 though if I take my time.

The bike I have just now is, shall we say, low spec (downtube shifters and fairly heavy) and didn't cost me much. Does this really matter?

Do which ever one suits, its my first attempt at a Sportive so i'm just doing the shorter run, as for your bike, if it does the job and you're happy with it, then thats all that matters. .
I would imagine there will be all sorts of bikes and riders at this event from the top of the range carbon jobs which weigh about 7kg to MTBs which come in around 3 tonne!:laugh:
Just have fun and meet a few folks on the way, plus being local you can whip some butt on the climbs as you'll know them well:thumbsup:
See you there!

Seamab

Thanks for posting this, I'm taking up more cycling and will be doing my first sportive next year. I'm from the Borders so this one is local to me, and is indeed on very quiet roads (I often cycle around Roberton for an hour and I usually only see half a dozen cars during that time)

I'm going to book this one, but haven't decided on the 49 or 70 mile. Should I be sensible and do the 49 since it will be my first? I know I could do the 70 though if I take my time.

The bike I have just now is, shall we say, low spec (downtube shifters and fairly heavy) and didn't cost me much. Does this really matter?

A sportive is just a challenge not a race so it doesn't matter what kind of bike you use. As you say either it's a fast 50 or a better paced 70 miler whatever you like the best. My first (recent roadie) was a many hand Steel Raleigh Flyer with downshifters. Great bike. I've still got it but converted it to single speed when i couldn't get the bits to renew the wornout 5 speed cassette. Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't use it.

Not done this sportive myself but it shares some of the Ken Laidlaw hills which are not too bad. Does it go over the Talla?

Seamab

I don`t think it goes over Talla..

I take the talla climb is beside the reservoir?
Yes it's beside Talla reservoir. It's a beast!
Talla Linn 1.1 miles avg gradient 8.4%, first half is 20% solid on a very dodgy singletrack road.

It's one of those climbs that you can see only too well where it goes on approach and your heart sinks...

stumpy66

Veteran
Yes it's beside Talla reservoir. It's a beast!
Talla Linn 1.1 miles avg gradient 8.4%, first half is 20% solid on a very dodgy singletrack road.

It's one of those climbs that you can see only too well where it goes on approach and your heart sinks...
It feels more than that :smile: Got to just grind it out, fast and windy with some patches of loose gravel on the corners once over the top

DaveK

Cheers for the replies, I will use the bike I have. Will need new tyres by then since I'm chewing the current rear up on the turbo trainer lol. See you guys at the sportive :-)

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
@tourotheborders: Nearly 400 entrants for Tour o' the Borders so far, and still three months to go...hope you'll enjoy the route as much as we think you will!

DaveK

The longest I have ever cycled in one day is 25miles. I've signed up for the 70mile. My aim is to simply finish so I can take my time if some of the climbs are steeper than I've ever done

OP
OP
tug benson

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013

Dear Touro Riders,
Just a note to let you know that entries for this year's event will be closing at midnight on Friday 1 March, or if we get to 1000 riders before then - which is very possible as we're heading that way now!
It's looking like a great turn-out so it should be a great and busy event with lots of bikes out on the road, so if your mate hasn't entered yet, tell them to get on with it quick.
Thanks for now,
The Touro team.

Top Bottom