The Transcontinental Race 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
zigzag

zigzag

Veteran
the first thing i would like to do after reading this thread - to thank and hug every one of you for the support and good vibes you've been sending my way! what a fantastic bunch of people you are! i'm now sat at the internet cafe near taksim square, catching up with things in the virtual world having spent last 12 days in the real world, i.e. ride, eat, sleep^_^. i'll come up with the ride report hopefully by the end of next week as there is the whole tracklog to analyse and a mountain of random thoughts to put together. there was no particular reason why i chose the route via romania - i simply put two dots in bikeroutetoaster (stelvio pass - istanbul) the night before and that's the route it came up with.. i didn't even check that the border crossing between romania and bulgaria was a ferry crossing operated only four times a day (i thought it was a bridge..) - i was so happy to get on the last ferry of the day and not need to camp there and wait until the morning one! re the total distance - my gps was telling 3408km at the finnish - it might be the longest one of the lot! the biggest hurdle that kept me from going quicker was sweltering heat every day 36-40 degrees, not the temperature i'm acclimatised to. morning and evening cruising speed were about 27kph, while throughout the day i could only average 18-20kph. the whole ride was a big learning curve on self-sufficiency and time management. my body coped well, no saddle sores or numb fingers, only numb toes from newly purchased and not fully tested shoes. the bike gears were 42/34 and 11-28, i.e. not a single chainring in the front. all equipment worked fine, the only slightest technical problem was one puncture in austria. some roads were in a very dire state, as i understood later kept by village communities that way to prevent the traffic speeding through. this race was certainly the most adventurous experience i've had on a bike - highly recommended if you think you would be up for it!

thank you and i look forward to seeing you on the road (or a pub) very soon!!

p.s. @swarm_catcher my plane lands at 14:25 at gatwick north terminal on monday the 19th; if my bike arrives safely, i'll be riding back to london/greenwich

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Greenwich you say, Rimas? I'll buy you a beer when you're back. And excellent riding!

frank9755

Cyclist
Well done, Rimas!
Many congratulations on making it. Safe journey home, and can't wait to hear about your adventures!
Alas I've got a project kick-off meeting out of town on Monday - otherwise would love to have ridden down to Gatwick with Els
Frank

the first thing i would like to do after reading this thread - to thank and hug every one of you for the support and good vibes you've been sending my way! ...
p.s. @swarm_catcher my plane lands at 14:25 at gatwick north terminal on monday the 19th; if my bike arrives safely, i'll be riding back to london/greenwich

About time you spoke up.
Sod the ride report - get stuck in to home life, and before that...
efes%2Bpilsen.jpg

and
turkish-food-drinks-raki-guide-meze-raki-table.jpg

You're our hungry hero, Rimas! Go for it - and savour every taste, every moment, and have a great time with your fellow 'competitors' (although I think that definition has fallen by the wayside just a tad.)The race for a place is still interesting, even though you have stopped. Real people doing their thing...isn't life great?

Tension is building once again on the track that is Europe, for the competitors of Transconrace 2013. Pay attention!
Right, Mikko the lolly licker has 149.54 Kms to go. He has probably enjoyed his time at the seaside and the ozone has made him a bit sleepy - he's showing 0.1kph
Anthony Hawke - firing direct to Istanbul on 'Route One' is not sleeping - he's moving along at a steady 16.7kph and is showing 169 and a bit kms to the line.
If Mikko slumbers and Anthony rides through 'Tonyght's The Night' etc...he could well sneak in. Remember, it was only last night that Nicholas Pusinelli stole a march on Juliana...and we all know who looked fresher in the photos! :smile:

I have some work to do now,:sad: so I'll not be able to give the map my full attention (like I just did) so I'll update the distances in..RED this time. Stats recorded say, at 19:30 BST. 11:00 BST and 21:00 BST yesterday.
Iain Findlay.
695.45 K to go 688.23 515.59
Colin Woof. (Didn't bring his toothpaste so has dog's breath)
@578.45 491.58 339.07
Sebastian Gassner
@559.28 457.41 323.51
Recep Yesil
@552.69 471.57 353.36
Sergei Konov (He needs to start Russian along a bit)
@551.29 454.83 333.10
Chris Holden (Not B. Holden to anyone, as it's a 'C')
@ 470.20 358.29 219.38
Anthony Hawke
@459.57 276.84 169.54
Daniel Wilson (missed him off last night)
@******451.29 323.50
Erik Nohlin (missed him off last night, too ):rolleyes:
@****** 469.83 352.36
Anton Hunt (needs to navigate left a bit, to rejoin 'Route One to Istanbul')
@475.05 359.83 236.09
That's it. Now all we spectators have to do is sit around and wait for the fun. This is a race , after all. ;)
I'll add:
Eelco W @396.31
Brian W @712.37
Mikko M @149.54 - as mentioned above, it's a race between him and Anthony Hawke.:smile:

36 hours to go - "do the math" as "they" say. :smile: Oh, and don't forget to factor in fatigue, heat, thirst, mind games, self-doubt, nutrition, physical conditions, mechanicals and all the other things that make this ride so great for all of us!

Forgot something...they all look so near, yet so far!
So near yet....JPG

Bloody hell, Mikko! I had to go away and do a bit of work, I come back and you're still snoozing - with 149.54 kilometres to go.
Little do you know that Anthony Hawke only has 130.28 kms to go, and he's ticking over at 21kph...
I told you so.:headshake:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
the first thing i would like to do after reading this thread - to thank and hug every one of you for the support and good vibes you've been sending my way! what a fantastic bunch of people you are! i'm now sat at the internet cafe near taksim square, catching up with things in the virtual world having spent last 12 days in the real world, i.e. ride, eat, sleep^_^. i'll come up with the ride report hopefully by the end of next week as there is the whole tracklog to analyse and a mountain of random thoughts to put together. there was no particular reason why i chose the route via romania - i simply put two dots in bikeroutetoaster (stelvio pass - istanbul) the night before and that's the route it came up with.. i didn't even check that the border crossing between romania and bulgaria was a ferry crossing operated only four times a day (i thought it was a bridge..) - i was so happy to get on the last ferry of the day and not need to camp there and wait until the morning one! re the total distance - my gps was telling 3408km at the finnish - it might be the longest one of the lot! the biggest hurdle that kept me from going quicker was sweltering heat every day 36-40 degrees, not the temperature i'm acclimatised to. morning and evening cruising speed were about 27kph, while throughout the day i could only average 18-20kph. the whole ride was a big learning curve on self-sufficiency and time management. my body coped well, no saddle sores or numb fingers, only numb toes from newly purchased and not fully tested shoes. the bike gears were 42/34 and 11-28, i.e. not a single chainring in the front. all equipment worked fine, the only slightest technical problem was one puncture in austria. some roads were in a very dire state, as i understood later kept by village communities that way to prevent the traffic speeding through. this race was certainly the most adventurous experience i've had on a bike - highly recommended if you think you would be up for it!

thank you and i look forward to seeing you on the road (or a pub) very soon!!

Well done, heroic effort!

MichaelO

Veteran
the first thing i would like to do after reading this thread - to thank and hug every one of you for the support and good vibes you've been sending my way!
Unbelievable effort. Totally astonishing!!

It has made me question what the longest ride I can do is.

Unbelievable effort. Totally astonishing!!

It has made me question what the longest ride I can do is.

A lifetime will do, Michael. No rush. ;)

Good morning! Rise and shine everyone, it's an important phase for the remainder of the group as they toil forward to their destination.
Hot news at 04:00 is that Anthony Hawke has pushed the pedals all night, and is now only 39.49 kilometres from the Rumeli Hisari finishing line. Meanwhile, Mikko Makipaa is exhausted, and has spent the last nine and a half hours with his ear stuck to the pillow.
Confusing timelines for these 'Tweets' but Mikko is facing a stiff wind and the prospect of pulling his body and soul to the wire. What a boost the rest will give him!
Mikko Mäkipää@mkpaa
12h

Pros: less than 200km to go. Cons: If wind stays like this it is going to be over 20 hours. Legs ok, riding ok, just slooooow. #transconrace
20120204_025_normal.jpg
Mikko Mäkipää@mkpaa
5h
About 120km to go. Should be around 8 hours depending on how much sense my route really makes. #transconrace
DSC6007-683x1024.jpg

Mikko Makipaa - awake. Picture from the TCR report pages, here.

Race elapsed time: 12 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes, 44 seconds.

And this morning - as much as it's accurate, in GREEN
21:00 BST Wednesday 11:00 BST Thursday 19:30 BST Thursday 05:00 BST Friday
Iain Findlay.
695.45 688.23 515.59 472.85
Colin Woof.
578.45 491.58 339.07 235.03
Sebastian Gassner
559.28 457.41 323.51 306.90
Recep Yesil
552.69 471.57 353.36 323.38
Sergei Konov
551.29 454.83 333.10 240.77
Chris Holden
470.20 358.29 219.38 176.51
Anthony Hawke
459.57 276.84 169.54 39.49 *next rider for the EFES mouthwash, and a big breakfast!*
Daniel Wilson
******451.29 323.50 307.32
Erik Nohlin
****** 469.83 352.36 326.72
Anton Hunt
475.05 359.83 236.09 163.65
Eelco W
***************396.31 392.13
Brian W
***************712.37 712.37
Mikko M
***************149.54 149.54 - as mentioned above, it's a race between him and Anthony Hawke.:smile:

frank9755

Cyclist
'Teef, I'll have to trust you to keep an eye on them in the closing stages. I'm off on the bike again. A cheeky long weekend tour down to the New Forest and Isle of Wight. Perfect for a wet summer weekend:smile:

Top Bottom