The Tyre Extinguishers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I disagree.

The climate agenda has never been in the news so much since Extinction Rebellian started their protests. The fact that it is in the news makes people become aware and as such think about changing their actions.

Insulate Britain is another one. No one was mentioning insulation until they started protesting. Now it's being discussed on the news and as a potential solution to he cost of living crisis.

It might be all a coincidence though. But I'm not sure that many people have started using more energy and fossil fuels because of the protests as an anti-protest-protest so fair play to them.

And they have converted me. I don't protest but now I am far more environmentally friendly that I was before I was aware of the severity of the climate crisis.

Very little of the meaningful discussion in the news has anything to do with the eco warriors. It's simply become a political opportunity and a way of raising money for big business, and it is they that are promoting it.

Any news item with the eco bods on is generally very negative.

Why don't they pick on container ships, eh? eh? I don't see those illogical losers letting the tyres down on them. It's double standards.

I rest my case. I think that means I've won.

Close the thread!!!

Joffey

Big Dosser
Very little of the meaningful discussion in the news has anything to do with the eco warriors. It's simply become a political opportunity and a way of raising money for big business, and it is they that are promoting it.

Any news item with the eco bods on is generally very negative.

It's funny because we had wall to wall media coverage of the ER protests and I remember an awful lot of climate discussion in the media at that time. I particularly recall that they had climate experts on programmes like Politics Live.

It's funny because we had wall to wall media coverage of the ER protests and I remember an awful lot of climate discussion in the media at that time. I particularly recall that they had climate experts on programmes like Politics Live.

You're free to believe what you like to believe. :hello:

I've seen protesters 'demanding' things that are already in place, which shows the level of understanding they have. I also know that those opposed to climate measures think the protesters are doing a superb job, and have looked to see how to encourage them further. Read in to that what you will.

Joffey

Big Dosser
You're free to believe what you like to believe. :hello:

I've seen protesters 'demanding' things that are already in place, which shows the level of understanding they have. I also know that those opposed to climate measures think the protesters are doing a superb job, and have looked to see how to encourage them further. Read in to that what you will.

That's a strange reply. So am I free to believe that I remember seeing that with my own eyes? :laugh:

I am in a fortunate position (some may think not) that I work from home and can watch the TV all day as I work. I clearly recall around the time of the 'big' climate protests breakfast TV, news & the lunchtime political programmes were awash with climate discussion. I usually watch that kind of TV until about 1pm then Netflix goes on.

The protests did encourage discussion whether you agree with their methods or not.

Tell me about the good protests. The ones you thought didn't piss anyone off, but won hearts and minds.
Then I can tell the bad protestors what to aim for 👍

When I see someone trying to misrepresent someone elses words, or being limited to just asking questions, I usually assume that it's someone really not clued up enough on the topic to bother engaging with.

When you rewrite someone elses response, you're effectively arguing with yourself, so I don't need to respond any further to posters of your ilk. :hello:

That's a strange reply. So am I free to believe that I remember seeing that with my own eyes? :laugh:

I am in a fortunate position (some may think not) that I work from home and can watch the TV all day as I work. I clearly recall around the time of the 'big' climate protests breakfast TV, news & the lunchtime political programmes were awash with climate discussion. I usually watch that kind of TV until about 1pm then Netflix goes on.

The protests did encourage discussion whether you agree with their methods or not.

You can obviously believe what you see with your own eyes (to an extent, but that's a whole different topic). What you can't do is then compare that to things that you haven't seen, just because you missed them. :okay:

As I said, I also know that those opposed to climate measures think the protesters are doing a superb job, and have looked to see how to encourage them further. Read in to that what you will.

Joffey

Big Dosser
You can obviously believe what you see with your own eyes (to an extent, but that's a whole different topic). What you can't do is then compare that to things that you haven't seen, just because you missed them. :okay:

As I said, I also know that those opposed to climate measures think the protesters are doing a superb job, and have looked to see how to encourage them further. Read in to that what you will.

So I can't compare me seeing lots of coverage on TV about climate protests and climate change with me not seeing a lack of coverage because I saw lots of coverage?

Great chat :laugh:👍

So I can't compare me seeing lots of coverage on TV about climate protests and climate change with me not seeing a lack of coverage because I saw lots of coverage?

Great chat :laugh:👍

The fact you never saw what was going on before, doesn't mean it wasn't happening. Much of what the protesters like extinction rebellion were shouting about, was already scheduled to be happening. The media coverage of the climate issues is driven by the businesses that will benefit, not by the protests. The coverage of the protests is generally negative, pointing out the stupidity and ignorance of those involved.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
1652457884687.png

Whatever happened to Greta ? :sad:

Joffey

Big Dosser
The fact you never saw what was going on before, doesn't mean it wasn't happening. Much of what the protesters like extinction rebellion were shouting about, was already scheduled to be happening. The media coverage of the climate issues is driven by the businesses that will benefit, not by the protests. The coverage of the protests is generally negative, pointing out the stupidity and ignorance of those involved.

I didn't just watch TV for this few weeks - been home working for 6 years. That's a lot of TV watching and there was a definite increase in climate coverage during the protests compared to not much before. I'd say there is more after the protests than before.

I didn't just watch TV for this few weeks - been home working for 6 years. That's a lot of TV watching and there was a definite increase in climate coverage during the protests compared to not much before. I'd say there is more after the protests than before.

I can add a few decades to your tv based experience, and you still seem to be ignoring the reasons why it's currently getting more coverage. :okay:

You could also consider that there are some influential people that want more of the climate measures, and they have lobbied to get the protesters actions limited.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom