The uk is a throwaway society?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
One problem with cycling in the UK is the state of the roadsides, rubbish everywhere. I think France has started to address the fast food/!food on the go problem.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
We get empty 'McDonalds' bags/boxes stuck into the hedge at the front of the house, there ain't a mucky D within 3 miles of the house so it has got to be a car driver doing it

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One problem with cycling in the UK is the state of the roadsides, rubbish everywhere. I think France has started to address the fast food/!food on the go problem.
Why, what have the French done?

The UK is in a phase of shirking it's responsibilities from the government down to individuals, hence the mess from top to bottom.
Don't know about the government, but that depends on your political point of view which we obviously can't get into here.
There have always been lazy slobbish individuals who simply don't care about littering and their environment and I can bet if you visit their homes they would also look like rubbish tip. What's to do? Education? Unfortunately these attitudes have been handed down from parents so difficult to eradicate.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
We get empty 'McDonalds' bags/boxes stuck into the hedge at the front of the house, there ain't a mucky D within 3 miles of the house so it has got to be a car driver doing it

Maccy D’s should be forced to print your address / postcode on your packaging upon purchase to encourage responsible waste disposal and encourage fines for those that choose not to !!!

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Biggest company locally, for litter issues, is the company that does the bins and "recycling". Anything dropped on the floor is left there. Glass bottles, usually in pieces, being amongst the worst.

Our bin-men who are seemingly tasked with taking away the rubbish; often seem to manage to spill (and leave on the road) an equal amount as they take away…..🤦‍♂️

Psamathe

Loads of rubbish in lanes around me. But you can broadly identify the sources.e.g. outside the school it's all wet wipes and chocolate bar wrappers neatly folded and tied in a knot (parents arrive 30 mins early to park in prime place), road to articulated lorry depot it's burger boxes and Red Bull cans (only started happening when depot opened). Another read it's only chocolate drinking yogurt bottles (must be one person to/from work snack and discard out of window). etc.

Ian

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Maccy D’s should be forced to print your address / postcode on your packaging upon purchase to encourage responsible waste disposal and encourage fines for those that choose not to !!!

I've got a pretty good idea of whom it is but no proof, printing the name on the packaging may help but what if the person gives a false name when purchasing. I cannot believe someone would have something delivered to their house then bring the wrapper out so it is almost certainly a car driver/passenger. The bloke I think it is works for Tesco at 'The Beaumont Leys Shopping Centre' where coincidentally there is a McD's and I know he doesn't like me because I once asked him to move his car as we were having a Conservatory built and the company were having a skip delivered which I wanted outside our house so the builders didn't have to walk a long way with the wheelbarrow (By the time they'd dug the footings and reduced ground level for the floor it completely filled a 6 cubic metre skip, imagine how much more work the labourer would have to do if he was forced to walk 20-25 metres further to dump barrowloads of soil into the skip.)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are two distinct problems. One is littering - that's just because a lot of Brits are contemptible scumbags. Can't really get away from that fact.

The other is flytipping. This is related partly to Brits being scumbags but also - I think - to local authority charges for disposing of waste, and in turn local authority funding and political stuff.

But mainly it's Brits being scumbags

davidphilips

Veteran
Yes it amazes me what rubbish you see littering country lanes

For a long time i really could not understand why on some rural roads i have seen old fridges, suites, mattress etc, some one must have used a vehicle but why not just take the rubbish to the local recycling centre where i am its free?

Then i watched an episode of rouge traders on utube and seen a so called tradesmen calling with a big van getting paid by householders to dispose of there rubbish, He loaded there items took them to a rural road only a few miles away and just tipped them out.

Really hate littering, any one remember the episode of one foot in the grave when victor took action against the sports car driver?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
For a long time i really could not understand why on some rural roads i have seen old fridges, suites, mattress etc, some one must have used a vehicle but why not just take the rubbish to the local recycling centre where i am its free?
Because householders pay these cowboys who offer reduced rates compared to regulated licensed recyclers. They cannot be admitted to to council recycling centres due I believe to the size of their vehicles so they have pay which would reduce their profit so just dump it on a quiet country road for free.

Top Bottom