The uk is a throwaway society?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

multitool

To the person upthread blaming litter on the "diverse" population of UK, I've just checked the Local Environment Quality surveys over time, and the amount of reported litter is remarkably stable. So it appears that immigration has made no difference.

Still, let's not let facts get in the way of things.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
For a long time i really could not understand why on some rural roads i have seen old fridges, suites, mattress etc, some one must have used a vehicle but why not just take the rubbish to the local recycling centre where i am its free?

Then i watched an episode of rouge traders on utube and seen a so called tradesmen calling with a big van getting paid by householders to dispose of there rubbish, He loaded there items took them to a rural road only a few miles away and just tipped them out.

Really hate littering, any one remember the episode of one foot in the grave when victor took action against the sports car driver?

This in spades. I even know of people who have paid such a trader MORE to take their rubbish away that the Local Authority would have charged for the same service!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have been in Denmark for 18 years and it is not a problem here. We pay a small amount of pant(tax) on all our drinks bottles and cans. You return them to a machine at any supermarket and get a credit note for anything you return.

tom73

Guru
Because householders pay these cowboys who offer reduced rates compared to regulated licensed recyclers. They cannot be admitted to to council recycling centres due I believe to the size of their vehicles so they have pay which would reduce their profit so just dump it on a quiet country road for free.

This in spades they don't ask questions what they don't know is when investigated and a link can be found to household.
They are in line for chargers and a nice fine. Always ask for Environment Agency waste permit if they are not licensed say clear.
Council disposal sites are for public use not commercial waste so hence why it cost a lot more to dispose of it.
Hence why domestic van get turned away from sites. Usually you just need to let the site know you're coming, book in and no issues.
I've lot count of being ask when I was in the trade about the cost of a job explaining waste cost money to deal with correctly. Was like rocket science to some.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This in spades. I even know of people who have paid such a trader MORE to take their rubbish away that the Local Authority would have charged for the same service!

Anyone remember the story of the builder who had a bag in the back of his van to put his sandwich wrappers, empty cans/bottles etc...........ended up getting fined for carrying waste without a licence

Slick

Guru
UK needs a deposit scheme on tins, bottles & plastic.
We were promised one but tories keep kicking the can down the road
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-scheme-for-most-of-uk-until-2024-at-earliest

What is the situation in Scotland ?
All quite positive, apparently.

I have a mate who works in coca cola and he has been banging on about it for ages as I think they have to make some changes to comply.

https://depositreturnscheme.zerowas...sit Return Scheme has,the empty bottle or can.

gbb

Legendary Member
To the person upthread blaming litter on the "diverse" population of UK, I've just checked the Local Environment Quality surveys over time, and the amount of reported litter is remarkably stable. So it appears that immigration has made no difference.

Still, let's not let facts get in the way of things.

Nay, nay and thrice nay.
1. I made no claims the problem is worse now than it was . In fact, I stated I was picking up litter 30 years ago,so the problem existed back then as well.
2. People make mess and litter, Brits, Polish, almost any country in the world I suspect, have you seen the Greek countryside in places :eek: have you seen Uruguayan towns, Spanish towns, Calais I seem to remember was a sh1thole in places, Kafr Al Zaiat and Cairo in Egypt looked like Beirut used to (and perhaps still does)
3. My post was merely pointing out an opposition to the premise 'Brits' are responsible for they decay that seems to surround us, its a people problem, not a Brit one.

gbb

Legendary Member
The heading of the post is very apt BTW, throwaway....
The volume of carp that engulfs us nowadays is ever growing. Mention of bottles and can returns I suspect won't have much impact on lazy people (although it might encourage so e to pick others litter on the grounds there's some financial return). I mentioned in a similar post how they banned one use, thin plastic carriers in favour of chargeable thicker ones. All that's happened is lots of people use the thicker chargeable ones, once, to chuck their rubbish in, the whole idea has been massively diluted by peoples laziness.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have been in Denmark for 18 years and it is not a problem here. We pay a small amount of pant(tax) on all our drinks bottles and cans. You return them to a machine at any supermarket and get a credit note for anything you return.

A few years ago a friend of mine came back to Britain after a long tour in Northern Europe including (I think) Denmark. I rode with her through Kent and a bit of Essex. She was so depressed by the amount of rubbish, especially as we went through the Dickensian marshes in North Kent. Fortunately we didn't encounter any lanes completely blocked by a fly tipped load, which I have encountered occasionally.

But if we take away the fly tipping and consider just regular littering I'm not convinced that it's any worse than it was in the 70s. (Remember "Keep Britain Tidy?") Same sloppy scumbags ignoring litter bins and not taking stuff home.

What's changed is the economics of waste disposal.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The council should take more rubbish away.They have had to where I am as so much was getting fly tipped. I once had to get rid of an old bed, honestly it would have been easier getting rid of a body. It had to be wrapped in plastic for the council to take it and that was after numerous questions about could it go to a charity furniture store. O yeah? they want new items with fire labels etc, not 50 year old beds with the springs coming through and a hole in the base.
I had to pay £70.00 to get rid of an old 3 piece suite, I couldnt go through all that farce with the council again and wrapping it up etc.

tom73

Guru
A few years ago a friend of mine came back to Britain after a long tour in Northern Europe including (I think) Denmark. I rode with her through Kent and a bit of Essex. She was so depressed by the amount of rubbish, especially as we went through the Dickensian marshes in North Kent. Fortunately we didn't encounter any lanes completely blocked by a fly tipped load, which I have encountered occasionally.

But if we take away the fly tipping and consider just regular littering I'm not convinced that it's any worse than it was in the 70s. (Remember "Keep Britain Tidy?") Same sloppy scumbags ignoring litter bins and not taking stuff home.

What's changed is the economics of waste disposal.

Not forgetting the growth in single use items , the hit and miss means of recycling and total lack of regulation on producers and suppliers.

tom73

Guru
The council should take more rubbish away.They have had to where I am as so much was getting fly tipped. I once had to get rid of an old bed, honestly it would have been easier getting rid of a body. It had to be wrapped in plastic for the council to take it and that was after numerous questions about could it go to a charity furniture store. O yeah? they want new items with fire labels etc, not 50 year old beds with the springs coming through and a hole in the base.
I had to pay £70.00 to get rid of an old 3 piece suite, I couldnt go through all that farce with the council again and wrapping it up etc.
Who ever takes it still cost money how do they fund it ? Funding for one thing means cuts in other placers. Ours charge £65 for bulky stuff collections. Not bad as it’s up to 5 items.
Councils legally only have to provided means of waste disposal ie the dump it site. and other stuff is optional even Household bins are not a given just treated like it.

gbb

Legendary Member
One thing pur local parish councillors have been very good at is bulky waste days. Every few months.a bin lorry and crew turn up I a supermarket carpark and locals have the morning to use the service and very well used it is too. Stuff arrives in vans, cars shopping trollies etc etc there's usually a light hearted buzz on those days, people feel they're contributing taking responsibility I think....and it's free.

It doesnt solve it but its a very well used service. Those that can't be bothered likely never will. Ultimately, (some) people are incredibly lazy

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Who ever takes it still cost money how do they fund it ? Funding for one thing means cuts in other placers. Ours charge £65 for bulky stuff collections. Not bad as it’s up to 5 items.
Councils legally only have to provided means of waste disposal ie the dump it site. and other stuff is optional even Household bins are not a given just treated like it.

Ours spends plenty of money on stupid stuff like millions for the bid for the city of culture or for lighting up buildings to show support for various causes etc.
Household bins are a given, I dont know where you are from but here we have always had the black bin and also the green/brown in recent years, thats what we pay the council tax for. This is detailed in the council tax bill.

Top Bottom