The UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
The United Kingdom is made up from : England, Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. But these are countries too, in their own right (or are they principalities - anyway , moving on...) My question is; is there any other country that is, in fact, made up from multiple other countries ? I guess Yugoslavia was made up from Slovenia, Croatia etc... but are there any current ones ?

Andrew

Dave5N

Über Member
Belgium

papercorn2000

Spain is made up of loads of regions. So is France, Italy etc. Many of these regions were seperate countries or kingdoms until fairly recently. In fact, with few exceptions, most european countries have had their present borders for no more than a few decades.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Yes, I see what you mean, but these European countries are much more tightly bound than the UK. Taking the obvious example of football - The UK has separate football teams for each member - the same is not true for Spain for example....

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Spain is far more separate in terms of governance than the UK. And one of the reasons that many give for the continued failure of the Spanish national football team to do as well as it should on paper is that the members feel rather greater allegience to their region rather than to Spain as a whole. Certainly when I visit friends in Barcelona, and find everyone speaking Catalan, eating Catalan food and talking about Catalan politics, it's hard to think that Madrid is that important to them...

simoncc

The USA. England is part of that.

Well, the Soviet 'Union' was a famous example. The 'union' ended and now it has split into many countries. I get the feeling that the 'union' was some kind of sham, a sort of forced marriage between nations.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It's like having in-laws. If you're married, your in-laws count as part of your group. If you then get divorced, there's no tie, but you might still count them as part of your lot, or you might tell them to eff off. Possibly. How would I know, me and Mrs Fnaar aren't married. But I have been to Russia once. And Belgium. Must cut down on the coffee intake, this message is going nowhere.... :biggrin:

Pete

Seems a lot of West Indian countries are made up of two main islands or island groups, with both names used together. Examples: Trinidad and Tobago, St Kitts and Nevis, Antigua and Barbuda, Turks and Caicos, etc. Are these pairs of separate nations combined? Do they count?

Dave5N

Über Member
Fnaar said:
It's like having in-laws. If you're married, your in-laws count as part of your group. If you then get divorced, there's no tie, but you might still count them as part of your lot, or you might tell them to eff off. Possibly. How would I know, me and Mrs Fnaar aren't married. But I have been to Russia once. And Belgium. Must cut down on the coffee intake, this message is going nowhere.... ;)

Brilliant coincidence though, innit, having the same surname an' that.

Top Bottom