The ultimate touring bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Perfect for a quick tour into Poland. :smile:
c-visit-germany-before-germany-visits-you-from-paris-38118953.png

As faras German bikes go I have always fancied this
https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-activa-pro-pinion-12-2677744

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
As faras German bikes go I have always fancied this
https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-activa-pro-pinion-12-2677744

Bordering on cheap for a high spec German trekking bike.

Although the top 18 speed Pinion gearbox is an extra 1,000 euro.

Some of the dynohubs have cartridge bearings which can be replaced and often serviced.
User servicable ones?
If so I'd be interested to learn of them.
What's the model of your old faithful shimano dynohub?
This by the way is the one that comes with the Decathlon wheel at £30 (less than the hub costs alone from many sources)
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-c3000-int7/DH-C3000-3N-QR.html
I did manage to get some extra grease into the non electronic gubbins side, but didn't touch the business side - too scared/wary after reading stuff from folk far more able than me.
By the by, taking a tip from a techwhizz I trust, I did loosen the hub up on the bearings as soon as I bought it - it did seem to be on the tight side.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Wasn't it SON that had lots of problems with water ingress?

Yes, they replaced it, but it would have been better if they made the sodding thing properly water resistant in the first place.

I have five SONs of all the versions, all working. The oldest went back for service a while back (noisy bearings) and was returned with mods, so better than new.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I doubt dyno bearings are a concern for most riders.

They are famously long lasting, and in the case of Shimano, the unit itself is fairly cheap.

Aggro if it fails in Patagonia, but you could fit an ordinary wheel and no expedition cyclist worth his salt would travel without back up lights.

I direct the honourable hentleman to the answer I gave some posts ago: Sturmey Archer's X(L)-FDD
Interesting - I didn't know about that.
Why isn't it better known?
One would think Spa would do it if it was so good/sensible?
You can totally service the bearings without any risk of screwing up the electronics?
Would it charge powerbanks OK?
I must say I know nothing about drum brakes or keeping them running/servicing them.
Would be interesred in any resources on this unit.

It does of course mean you have to keep the dynohub on the bike all the time, something I don't tend to do.

I doubt dyno bearings are a concern for most riders.

They are famously long lasting, and in the case of Shimano, the unit itself is fairly cheap.
I'm a beginner at this lark so can't really offer expertise on the longevity of shimano dynohubs - I do know from taking apart their otherwise excellent hubs that they tend to put very little grease in them though, which mystifies me. That's why I would like to get inside the dynohubs. I also once found a bit of grit inside a very new Shimano hub that came in a Spa handbuilt wheel. I had to change a cone and the hub is still a little compromised.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm a beginner at this lark so can't really offer expertise on the longevity of shimano dynohubs - I do know from taking apart their otherwise excellent hubs that they tend to put very little grease in them though, which mystifies me. That's why I would like to get inside the dynohubs. I also once found a bit of grit inside a very new Shimano hub that came in a Spa handbuilt wheel. I had to change a cone and the hub is still a little compromised.

At least you understand how hubs work, which is more than me.

All I can say is my Shimano dynohub did 5,000+ trouble free miles before I sold the bike.

No wear/play I could detect, so I reckon it would likely do 5,000 more.

Which wouldn't take me around the world, but were I doing that I suppose I would take the leap of faith that a £200 German dyno is superior.

I have five SONs of all the versions, all working. The oldest went back for service a while back (noisy bearings) and was returned with mods, so better than new.
Do you build your own wheels (would simplify sending it off)
Can I ask how much it cost, including all shipping costs?
How much use had it had?

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Interesting - I didn't know about that.
Why isn't it better known?
One would think Spa would do it if it was so good/sensible?
You can totally service the bearings without any risk of screwing up the electronics?
Would it charge powerbanks OK?
I must say I know nothing about drum brakes or keeping them running/servicing them.
Would be interesred in any resources on this unit.

It does of course mean you have to keep the dynohub on the bike all the time, something I don't tend to do.
You can trawl CUK forum. Brucey seems to be a fan.

I agree SA hub look interesting but damn, it is porky.

User servicable ones?
If so I'd be interested to learn of them.
What's the model of your old faithful shimano dynohub?
This by the way is the one that comes with the Decathlon wheel at £30 (less than the hub costs alone from many sources)
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/nexus-c3000-int7/DH-C3000-3N-QR.html
I did manage to get some extra grease into the non electronic gubbins side, but didn't touch the business side - too scared/wary after reading stuff from folk far more able than me.
By the by, taking a tip from a techwhizz I trust, I did loosen the hub up on the bearings as soon as I bought it - it did seem to be on the tight side.
KASAI Dynacoil FS is field serviceable.

My Shimano dynohub is the XT grade disk hub. 10 years of 2x6 mile commuting.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do you build your own wheels (would simplify sending it off)
Can I ask how much it cost, including all shipping costs?
How much use had it had?
I build my own wheels. Cost, as I recall, was £64 total via SJS.
Mileage? Several 1000, but couldn't give a figure. Just checked and I certainly used it all year in 2015, including Paris-Brest, and it was about ten years old then.

Top Bottom