The weirdest and most obscure cycling subcultures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Go for it.

Simon was the originator, organiser, benevolent dictator, and the driving force behind the Fridays. He left in about 2015??? These days it's run by volunteers and is somewhat less eccentric but still a fantastic night out.

Edit. The old website (blogspot.fnrttc.com maybe I think) no longer exists. From memory it ite used to say something like this: "If you don't need it, don't bring it. Mudguards, panniers, racks - have away with 'em. ... mudguards ... if they aren't rattling they are working loose and causing problems ... you won't starve on one of our rides so there is no need to bring along your aunty Mabel's famous fruit cake and cheese and pickle sandwiches ..."

It was all pretty tongue in cheek. From a ride organiser's point of view he wanted to minimise mechanicals and other problems, and also people over-reaching themselves and getting knackered due to having brought the kitchen sink along. But I can see how it could seem a bit overbearing and off-putting if you didn't realise the sense in which it was meant.

That sounds about what I read, I hope I'm a lot more experienced and a bit more worldly wise to the eccentricities of cyling these days, I'm pretty sure there are some early posts of mine critisizing those guidelines :blush:

The one night ride I did was Leeds>Scarborough. I remember highlights including finding a country pup open at gone midnight for 'refreshments' and the eerie darkness of Dalby Forest. 👻

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Go for it.

Simon was the originator, organiser, benevolent dictator, and the driving force behind the Fridays. He left in about 2015??? These days it's run by volunteers and is somewhat less eccentric but still a fantastic night out.

Edit. The old website (blogspot.fnrttc.com maybe I think) no longer exists. From memory it ite used to say something like this: "If you don't need it, don't bring it. Mudguards, panniers, racks - have away with 'em. ... mudguards ... if they aren't rattling they are working loose and causing problems ... you won't starve on one of our rides so there is no need to bring along your aunty Mabel's famous fruit cake and cheese and pickle sandwiches ..."

It was all pretty tongue in cheek. From a ride organiser's point of view he wanted to minimise mechanicals and other problems, and also people over-reaching themselves and getting knackered due to having brought the kitchen sink along. But I can see how it could seem a bit overbearing and off-putting if you didn't realise the sense in which it was meant.

Should probably ban tubeless road tyres instead, which are fine until not fine and then ride ending... :laugh: at least a regular tubed clincher has very good chance of being repaired at the roadside.

Alex321

Veteran
Should probably ban tubeless road tyres instead, which are fine until not fine and then ride ending... :laugh: at least a regular tubed clincher has very good chance of being repaired at the roadside.

You should still carry a tube, for those situations where you get a puncture that won't self-seal and plugs don't work. You can always put a tube in a tubeless tyre.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You should still carry a tube, for those situations where you get a puncture that won't self-seal and plugs don't work. You can always put a tube in a tubeless tyre.

if you can break the seal on the tyre to get it off, if the tubeless valve isn't gunked solid into the hole with dried sealant, if you can manage to do that with freezing hands in the dark and pissing rain whilst everyone else watches and waits getting colder, until @matticus hands you his phone.... anyway we digress.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Well, first -nothing was ever banned I don't recall anyone ever being told "you can't ride that". The quote from the website above was gentle encouragement. And when things did go wrong with bizarre and klunky machines then the Tail End Charlies (Fridays back markers) would (and still do) go above and beyond to sort things out.

And secondly this was all around 10 years ago and road tubeless wasn't really a thing then.

The current Fridays checklist is here: https://www.fnrttc.org.uk/bike-check-list

If you think that the Fridays should start banning things that you don't like, drop them an email. I'm sure they'll be interested.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If you think that the Fridays should start banning things that you don't like, drop them an email. I'm sure they'll be interested.

Lord no, I might want to go on a Fridays ride one day and I think it was from their original checklist that I learnt about periodically digging flints out of tyres to prevent deflationary events. ^_^

It was very tongue in cheek, but there is a corporate ride I do annually, where there are graded groups - I always keep well clear of the "fastest" group or two, but we normally catch them up at some point all stood at the side of the road covered in spraying tyre sealant (again I exaggerate for effect) , as the types that are attracted to the fastest groups, tend to be those attracted to road tubeless tech and / or the lightest possible tyres which when you put a group of a dozen or so together, its not normally long until one pops.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Lord no, I might want to go on a Fridays ride one day and I think it was from their original checklist that I learnt about periodically digging flints out of tyres to prevent deflationary events. ^_^

It was very tongue in cheek, but there is a corporate ride I do annually, where there are graded groups - I always keep well clear of the "fastest" group or two, but we normally catch them up at some point all stood at the side of the road covered in spraying tyre sealant (again I exaggerate for effect) , as the types that are attracted to the fastest groups, tend to be those attracted to road tubeless tech and / or the lightest possible tyres which when you put a group of a dozen or so together, its not normally long until one pops.

I've noticed a similar effect on Audaxes but I've never connected it with tubeless. I sometimes find myself leapfrogging small faster groups. I've always put this down to the fact that a group will stop more frequently and for longer (pee stops, mechanicals, jacket faffing, sightseeing, whatever) than a solo rider. They'll stop and chinwag at controls, I am in and out quickly and off again.

Dirtyhanz2

When I first started cycle touring I used to ride with a group we would just sing hymns all the time there was about 30 regular members sadly most have now passed on
Some fantastic singers great fun at the time but we must have looked funny to anyone we passed
I must say I did always enjoy morning as broken
We had one elderly gentleman how could sing full on opera amazing sound ❤️

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst I didn't join their fraternity, it was bloody good fun

E2B554F1-62B1-4F8C-8EAA-51F9B4A86FF0.jpeg

I do have this though, but maybe my lack of beard, it having brakes, mudguards and pannier rack, and let's not deny it, my age, rules me out of hipster gang

B6C90313-A8E9-42A9-AF97-BCCA33337989.jpeg

Last edited:
I've noticed a similar effect on Audaxes but I've never connected it with tubeless. I sometimes find myself leapfrogging small faster groups. I've always put this down to the fact that a group will stop more frequently and for longer (pee stops, mechanicals, jacket faffing, sightseeing, whatever) than a solo rider. They'll stop and chinwag at controls, I am in and out quickly and off again.

I've seen similar, on normal rides. Being antisocial has advantages.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

I've had the occasional tubeless puncture (very occasionally an actual stoppage). Never not managed to repair & continue.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've had the occasional tubeless puncture (very occasionally an actual stoppage). Never not managed to repair & continue.

ride mate had one a couple of winters ago , the sealant wasnt fixing it and he had to put a tube in which was a right messy job especially as it was only a few degress c at the time so not fun waiting

Top Bottom