The White Handlebar tape disaster, turns into a winner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I've Just put double bartape on my Dawes Galaxy. I used double sided sticky tape underneath, so it sticks and doesn't move. Been out for an afternoon ride, it feels great, so comfy.:okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Some white tape is fairly wipe-clean.

Pros often used white because their mechanic retaped the bars every morning.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
White anything on a bike is a disaster waiting to happen. Avoid like the plague.. Dark grey and black are the best colours to do handlebar tape in as it won't show all the grubby hand marks!

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Wife once asked me why all my clothes were black or dark-coloured.
She worked in an office.
I worked in a metal-processing factory.
Good money - But everything plastered in black oil and grease.
Every silver lining has a cloud !!
My handlebar tape .... Black ..... of course.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I get filthy at work, plus I'm always tinkering with my own stuff - so I get filthy at home too. Likewise most of my gear is black, dark grey, or navy blue - for a very good reason. :laugh:

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
I've got white handlebar tape again, because I like the look, I tried cleaning them with tooth paste on a cloth, it seems to do a good job.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some years back I did some work on a friend's bike that had white bar tape. It went well until the very end when I put a big oily paw print on the tape on one side.

So, out with the Flash and a scrubbing brush and after a while it was gleaming white. But unfortunately it was now much cleaner than the other side. So more scrubbing was needed. But unfortunately she had a white saddle and now the that looked grubby. So even more scrubbing was needed ...

Top Bottom