The Wild Atlantic Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I've survived the N.E. Donegal section of the Wild Atlantic Way and loved it.

Story here for anyone interested - https://theoldbikeshome.wordpress.com/2016/06/02/gleann-cholm-cille-and-the-wild-atlantic-way/

Tower mentioned at Málainn Mhóir, one of a series of watchtowers/lookout towers built along the coast in case of invasion by the French. Similar seen in Mayo/Galway.
Believe they are now actually owned by the state, not the landowners.

tyred

Legendary Member
Tower mentioned at Málainn Mhóir, one of a series of watchtowers/lookout towers built along the coast in case of invasion by the French. Similar seen in Mayo/Galway.
Believe they are now actually owned by the state, not the landowners.

Bingo! I should have realised that. When it first came into view in the distance I assumed another of the WWII lookout towers but as I got closer to it I realised it pre-dated that by a long way.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Bingo! I should have realised that. When it first came into view in the distance I assumed another of the WWII lookout towers but as I got closer to it I realised it pre-dated that by a long way.
The WWI & WWII ones seem to be more numerous further South. Sometimes with the arrow, pointing roughly Northwards, and figures still visible.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Why would there be WW2 lookout towers in southern Ireland?
Officially, Ireland guarding its coastline as a neutral country. They'd have been WWI towers in the majority of cases though. Any aircraft making landfall in Ireland would be seized.

tyred

Legendary Member
The only WW2 one I am certain about in Donegal is the one at Melmore head near the hostel where I stayed the final 2 nights. I didn't walk to it on this occasion but have done in the past and also at Melmore head there is one of the huge stone EIRE signs which would have been whitewashed originally for visibility. There were many of these on prominent locations along the coast (Melmore head is number 80) and they were there to advise the USAF but also any stray RAF or Luftwaffe pilots that they were entering neutral air space.

This is the Melmore Head lookout tower taken from the distance
27384415535_596d01685f_b.jpg
World War II lookout tower, Melmore Head
by braveheart1979, on Flickr

Top Bottom