The wild birds need your help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notmyrealnamebutclose

Just a quick reminder to try to help the wild birds who are suffering, getting cold hungry an weak in this frozen spell.
If you can give them some bird nuts and seeds cereals, anything really - you'd be surprised what they will eat when hungry!
They can eat your left over scraps from breakfast, dinner, tea etc
Here's the thing, you don't necessarily need a bird feeder you hang up somewhere, if you have a garage or shed throw your daily scraps on the roof, the rodents can't get at it up there. Please try to be kind and spare a thought for them, it cost next to nothing but a small amount of effort. Thank you

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have my bird feeders and fat ball holders topped up every day.
Don't forget a bird bath or similar for drinking water.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Only today have I just refilled the sunflower seed feeder... which has probably dispensed a pint of its contents today. The garden's alive with the poor, cold hungry little buggers and I've even had a couple of female pheasants venture over the wall into the compound; which is unprecedented.

The blackbirds have been smashing my discarded apple cores too :smile:

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

As above, bird table filled up daily, fat balls in their feeders and water bowl (solid ice yesterday morning but sorted) .

I must say though the small birds very rarely come to the table, the Wood Pigeons seem to eat most of it.
Yes we get a few wood pidgeons, smaller birds don't get much of a look in when they move in. I open
the window that overlooks the shed roof and shoo them away for a while to give the blackbirds
robins, thrushes etc a chance. Starlings are greedy sods too and not so easily scared.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Regular visitors eating berries on one of our trees.

Slick

Guru
I always had a small feeder in the garden but during lockdown, I felt for all the small birds at my workplace who were used with hundreds of humans leaving all sorts of mess behind them then all of a sudden that stopped. As I was the only person not furloughed, I took it upon myself to make sure they had plenty to eat. I get all sorts of small birds, and even some of the larger ones that I used to chase but soon realised that they need to eat too. A pregnant duck soon noticed there was additional food on the go, and would come to my window twice a day for a fat ball, until she eventually turned up with 12 ducklings. They disappeared one by one over the course of the next couple of weeks, victims of the couple of hawks that are around from time to time. She came back not long after with a second clutch, and she raised all 8 of them to adulthood. I fed them every day and they would sometimes follow me when I arrived in the carpark in the morning. Im expecting a busy winter trying to keep everyone fed, but it does help keep me sane, so seems like a fair exchange.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I had to stop feeding the birds because of the pigeons.
They are nesting on our roof, making a mess of neighbours verandas.
They were coming in droves, eating all the food, shitting on my plants, nothing left for the wee birds :sad:

Slick

Guru
I had to stop feeding the birds because of the pigeons.
They are nesting on our roof, making a mess of neighbours verandas.
They were coming in droves, eating all the food, shitting on my plants, nothing left for the wee birds :sad:

That's a shame Pat, although I invested in a cracking little feeder that closes when anything larger tries to eat from it. I'll try and find it.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
That's a shame Pat, although I invested in a cracking little feeder that closes when anything larger tries to eat from it. I'll try and find it.
I also had a mouse in the big bag of bird feed!
My neighbour stopped the bird feeders too, for the same reasons as I did.
I left my sunflowers for the birds, they got munched for sure!

Top Bottom