The wild birds need your help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

So if we can make fatballs out of lard and seed could we just buy a packet of lard, open it and leave it for the birds to peck at? 🤔

They probably would, dunno tbh :smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My mum used to cut the rind off bacon before grilling it, cut it up and put it on the cemetery wall outside our house, for the birds. I wonder which would be best. Raw bacon rind, or grilled/fried crispy rind?🤔

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I find it very annoying when dog owners let their dogs eat food put there for the birds! The other year I was in the local park. I chucked half a loaf of seeded wholemeal bread down for the birds, when this fat brown Labrador appeared and started to eat the bread like a pig at a trough. I hate gluttony so I chased the thing off, only for the owner to appear and have a go at me for shouting at her dog. I put it to her that the birds need food all year round, especially in winter and her dog looked like it wasn't in need of carbohydrates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

I find it very annoying when dog owners let their dogs eat food put there for the birds! The other year I was in the local park. I chucked half a loaf of seeded wholemeal bread down for the birds, when this fat brown Labrador appeared and started to eat the bread like a pig at a trough. I hate gluttony so I chased the thing off, only for the owner to appear and have a go at me for shouting at her dog. I put it to her that the birds need food all year round, especially in winter and her dog looked like it wasn't in need of carbohydrates.
8085_dogs.jpg

was this the git? :laugh:

Chislenko

Veteran
My mum used to cut the rind off bacon before grilling it, cut it up and put it on the cemetery wall outside our house, for the birds. I wonder which would be best. Raw bacon rind, or grilled/fried crispy rind?🤔

Mrs. C does that with the rind as well. It appears to be the one thing the Wood Pigeons won't eat so the smaller birds end up eating it.

Surprisingly yesterday, the Jackdaws, who never eat off the bird table (usually just the fat balls) were getting stuck into the seed and peanuts on the table so they must have been hungry.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Please don’t feed bread to birds. There is very little nutrition in bread that a bird needs. It simply fills them up, and they don’t get to eat what they need. Feeding mouldy bread is even worse. If you don’t eat it, why would it be good for a bird? Mould can cause a bird to become unwell, particularly when compromised by cold.

For what to feed to encourage which birds, go to the British Trust for Ornithology website

https://www.bto.org/how-you-can-help/providing-birds/feeding-garden-birds

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

Birds just don't seem to appreciate my fatballs apparently, even the starlings struggled to penetrate
them. I think i willstop there before I get into trouble.

geocycle

Legendary Member
A busy bird morning here, great, blue and coal tits on feeders. Two robins and two female blackbirds having frank exchanges of view. Bullfinch paid a visit as well as the usual dunnock, wren and magpies. they like the sunflower hearts and crushed peanuts. Oh and the female blackbird that’s been with us a few years is now on the window ledge enquiring about afternoon tea!

Seen from the bedroom window we have 100 or more greylag and pink footed geese, 8 swans, crows and an egret. Keeps you going when the cycling is curtailed.

Top Bottom