The wild birds need your help!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I also had a mouse in the big bag of bird feed!
My neighbour stopped the bird feeders too, for the same reasons as I did.
I left my sunflowers for the birds, they got munched for sure!

Yeah I think I had a mouse too, although I didn't realise until I was moving house and put the seed in my truck before trading it in. I often wonder if there is a wee mouse getting chauffeured around in a truck with a big stack of seed planked. :whistle:

OP
OP
notmyrealnamebutclose

notmyrealnamebutclose

I'm guessing it's the magpies that are taking the odd chicken thigh bones tho there was a crow sitting uncomfortably
on top of the hawthorne tree the other morning

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Me and a woman I know feed the birds, on the 'bird lady's' grave. Though she only does it in winter, when I do it all year round. These pics were taken last Christmas Day, at 16:02 (hence the darkness) as I look at my phone's photo' gallery.:smile: Yes, I know it's bread on the ground and we aren't supposed to feed bread to birds, but it was seeded wholemeal if I remember rightly, so it's better than white bread and I'd mixed a bit of water in to soften it, making it easier to swallow.

1670979054554.png

1670979244293.png

She was known as the bird lady by the way because she was well known for every day chucking many handfuls of nuts and seeds etc on the ground for the birds (mostly pigeons) in the town centre.

Last edited:

Red17

Veteran
We were getting loads of birds on our feeders over the summer, but nothing at all in the last couple of months.

Not sure what has happened although there does seem to be a lot more cats visiting our garden recently, so possibly related

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I had to stop feeding the birds because of the pigeons.
They are nesting on our roof, making a mess of neighbours verandas.
They were coming in droves, eating all the food, shitting on my plants, nothing left for the wee birds :sad:

I'm sick to death of pigeons. My neighbour feeds them but they prefer sitting on my roof as the solar panels make it warmer. Like Pat's they make a hell of a mess and I can even hear them cooing in the middle of the night.:smile:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I really hate wood pigeons. Sadly almost nothing else has eaten from the feeders we've put up at this house.

If they could sing - like doves can - I might forgive their other attributes. But they can't; that noise is more like a smoker's cough.

Try putting the food down and putting a flat cover over it. Wood pigeons like to take off vertically and won't go under the cover, but the other birds will. If you're worried about mice etc you'll have to fettle a bird table to keep food off the ground.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I have a large bush (:laugh:) that provides shelter for gazillions of sparrows, who seem to take turns coming out to the feeders. My fat balls keep the birds full, and coming back for more, and I occasionally get visited by lovely tits too 🙂
(despite the Fnaar-isms, this is my way of saying that I regularly feed the birds that visit my garden, and I love watching them from the window) 😊🐦

Top Bottom