The WIMPS ... A Trans Pennine Trail Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landsurfer

Veteran
The WIMPS... we’re a bunch of somewhat mature cyclists.. we’ve done LEJOG, CTC Whitehaven to Newcastle ..... lots of weekend family camping and cycle rides, with barbies and more ...
This year was our JOGLE .... BUT !
Fuel costs for our families campers / vans / cars / campsites has become so high that we have had to postpone the event this year ...
No way are we leaving the family behind....

well ....

So 2 of us ... Me and Chris are doing the TPT , Hornsea to Southport last weekend of June ... Chris is super fit ... I’m the polar opposite .. mid 60’s, cardiomyopathy, TGA events...
We’re riding unsupported, camping where we can ....

So looking forward to it ...

We’ll be posting in “Your Ride Today "

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Look forward to reading.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
So .. looking at the weather for our trip ... Starting in Hornsea we’re looking at 200 miles riding into the wind .... not on my fun list ... so starting in Southport ..... any thoughts Chaps and Chapesses .....

I've done this, 3 days with overnights at Hadfield and Hirst Courteney.

Its well sign posted for the most part but they do have maps too albeit not quite up to date (their accomodation guide is 7 years old!). It's an interesting route and quiet even if it does meander about the place to keep to the quiet/traffic free sections. Some of the central sections on the old Penistone railway line were very muddy when wet, though they might have been impoved since.

Hull centre can be a bit grim/confusing to get through near the end though once you get on the Hornsea Rail Trail it's a straight shot to the finish and a lovely final few miles.

Hornsea Finish:
Image034.jpg

jpj84

Veteran
My word of advice - there's nowhere directly on the route to stop for a bite to eat, at least between Southport and South Manchester. I kind of assumed there would be when I did it a few years ago, and had the worst bonk of my life.

Fnarr

I've done this, 3 days with overnights at Hadfield and Hirst Courteney.

Its well sign posted for the most part but they do have maps too albeit not quite up to date (their accomodation guide is 7 years old!). It's an interesting route and quiet even if it does meander about the place to keep to the quiet/traffic free sections. Some of the central sections on the old Penistone railway line were very muddy when wet, though they might have been impoved since.

Hull centre can be a bit grim/confusing to get through near the end though once you get on the Hornsea Rail Trail it's a straight shot to the finish and a lovely final few miles.

Hornsea Finish:
View attachment 644921

The designated route through Hull is illogical, and few locals would follow it. I've flagged it a few times and I've seen a lot of comments similar to yours, but the routeplanners feel they know best. :sad:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Brantingham through North Ferriby to Hessle foreshore is lovely but agreed the route through Hull after this isn't great.
Better off avoiding Hessle and staying on the path alongside the A63 and through to Hulls Marina, lovely place with great pubs/food then picking back up through the old town and onto the Hornsea rail trail at Dansom Lane. Once out of the industrial part its quite a nice ride through Sutton Village area all the way to Hornsea.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Brantingham through North Ferriby to Hessle foreshore is lovely but agreed the route through Hull after this isn't great.
Better off avoiding Hessle and staying on the path alongside the A63 and through to Hulls Marina, lovely place with great pubs/food then picking back up through the old town and onto the Hornsea rail trail at Dansom Lane. Once out of the industrial part its quite a nice ride through Sutton Village area all the way to Hornsea.

The long term forecast shows the wind direction as easterly for the first 2 days and south easterly for day 3 so we will probably start in Hornsea .. but its totally wind direction dependant ... i’m not pedalling into wind for 200 miles ... :smile:

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Any recommended campsites in the Selby area or anyone with a patch of grass for our tent for the first night ... if starting in Hornsea ?

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@Landsurfer I don't blame you, the wind on the coast is often unpredictable.
Not sure about Hornsea campsites, think most are family caravan parks but will ask the girlfriend as she lives there and may know of some.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
My wife and grandson will be there in my mini bus to whisk us back the joy of Rotherham and a hot bath ...

Top Bottom