The WIMPS ... A Trans Pennine Trail Adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Uncontrolled alcoholic events in a brewery spring to mind.

Well .... No harm to you Darius, but we turned up at 0920hrs and decided that waiting around for another 40 minutes in the hope that our unknown local guide would actually turn up was dismissed.... and off we set ...:tongue:
You had your revenge as we went off track / stopped to consult maps about 10 times before Aintree. And crashed ...
The plan was 50 miles a day and the end of the first day, 2130hrs, we had ridden 77 miles ( Mottram ) and where knackered ... but ... in the carpark of a premier inn with a vacancy .... ^_^
Twin room, 3 pints, no food (our fault), showered and asleep for 11.
After a big brekkie we set off ...
We where knackered .... it was uphill hell ... by Woodhead / western tunnels entrance I decided to resign my commission and was picked up.... Chris pushed up that bloody zigzag and made it to Wath via the Thurgoland tunnel, where i picked him up ....
We had a great, painful, fun filled adventure on the first half of the trip .... On the 6th and 7th of July we do the second half of the ride from Wath to Hornsea as work had noticed we where off the radar without actually being on holiday ....:whistle: :whistle:
Sorry Darius .... I was looking forward to meeting my hero from ā€œEdge of Darknessā€ ...

1. Oh ..if anyone tells you the TPT is well signposted .... their a liar !

2. Don't do it on a road bike ... trust me ..donā€™t :stop:

Day one ...

fullsizeoutput_4a0.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
Of course not.
I just wasted my day waiting around for a couple of d**k heads who didn't even have the courtesy to keep me informed of their progress.
Not to worry. Next time anyone asks for help at this end of TPT they will be referred to you and told to f**k off.
Glad you enjoyed yourself. (That might be a lie).

Oh dear .... you are a one .... possibly a lay down in a dark room may help .... Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday ^_^ See you next Tuesday ...:laugh:
Such fun ....

You've done well! I stopped in Glossop on Night 1 so roughly about the same distance. The woodhead is hard yes but that's pretty much the only big climb.

Take care on the Hull to Hornsea section as the path can very rutted with tree roots under the tarmac sections.

OP
OP
Landsurfer

Landsurfer

Veteran
You've done well! I stopped in Glossop on Night 1 so roughly about the same distance. The woodhead is hard yes but that's pretty much the only big climb.

Take care on the Hull to Hornsea section as the path can very rutted with tree roots under the tarmac sections.

Weā€™ve done the Wath / Hornsea section a couple of times .. but only in sections and always from the Hornsea end ... and never via Hull .. so your advice is welcome.

Mungo Tybourne

Newbie question here.

My 16 year old son and I hope to cycle the whole trail next Easter. I have a Carrera Crossfire and he has a
Trek Dual Sport 1 2021 Hybrid Bike.

Other than a new bike for me, what gear would you recommend for bikepacking the whole way?

Top Bottom