The wind behind you better than downhill.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SS Retro

The plan was for a 40 to 50mile ride on my singlespeed but it was raining cold and windy but after ten miles of being reduced down to 10mph by a ba:cursing: rd of a head wind along a costal stretch I pulled in had slice of current square and decided that home was the best answer to the weather.

That's when it happened! The wind behind you for miles on a flat coastal road doing 27mph legs spinning out the gear the rain didn't matter, the cold didn't matter, the huge puddles didn't matter well unless they were concealing any pot holes. :biggrin:

Truly excellent give me a tail wind any day keep your big descents and I live in hilly Lakeland, might have only done 20 miles but it was the most fun 20 miler ever!

Yeah it starts getting fun doing 25mph+ on a flat. Even better when you get tailwind or slipstream on a downhill. Cant say I would bother if its raining. Moderate winds I can cope with but I really despise the rain.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wind-assisted cycling is fab! I have had some great rides in an Easterly direction, either dropped in BLackpool and riding home or riding to Settle and being picked up. Coastal rides like Blackpool to Fleetwood are also brilliant with the wind.

fullcycle

some days are just the most amazing conditions to ride in when the wind is right you just seem to cruise with minimum effort :bicycle:and then there are the days when every yard is an effort and you seem to be travelling the same stretch of road 20x slower than the previous day :heat:

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Ss Retro...would that be the coast road between Barrow and Ulverston?? I did Askam to Roa Island and back again last week in the pouring rain and wind...damn wind was a headwind whichever direction I was going!!! Bloody loved it though and a sauage bun and a coffee at the Bosuns locker certainly helped!!!

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Def take a tail wind over a down hill- any day of the week! Better still a mixture of the two...wwweeeeeee!
Well done on your decision not to stay out and fight it and make yourself grumpy!

I have heard of tailwinds and unicorns and tax rebates and okapis, but that is not the same thing as believing in them.

Some people just make stuff up to confuse people.

OP
OP
SS Retro

SS Retro

Ss Retro...would that be the coast road between Barrow and Ulverston?? I did Askam to Roa Island and back again last week in the pouring rain and wind...damn wind was a headwind whichever direction I was going!!! Bloody loved it though and a sauage bun and a coffee at the Bosuns locker certainly helped!!!
Aye could well be. :thumbsup:

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
It's elementary my dear Watson!! I cut through from Abbey rd end down rating lane and friars lane and join it round the back of st. Lukes. It is much nicer apart from those damn fence things to go through...hit one, couldn't get my foot out my toe cage and tipped over!!! Still have a massive bruise lol. Love the back lanes off the coast road...like a maze with my sense of direction!!

Top Bottom