The Wind thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
How can it be that when you are riding into a head wind, the type of headwind that foliage, leaves, trees, bushes, grasses, wild flowers seem resolutely resistant/immune to being bent over by the wind. In fact they are so resistant they defy to even sway 1mm in the sodding breeze. You stop and scan the nearby landscape, not so much as a wobble or wibble from the adjacent vegetation, totally motionless against a non existent wind. Yet as soon as you start pedalling the sodding wind is in your face and chilling your body. Glancing around again at your surroundings not so much as a grass fluttering in the breeze. Today I experienced one of these winds a south easterly wind. Can some one please explain?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The air is still but you are moving forwards through it. Say you are riding at 15 mph. It feels the same as a 15mph headwind would feel if you were stationary.

BTW, tailwinds don't exist.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to sound as though I was fast. It's just that the wind is always in my face. Especially on the LF1 in Holland.

Last edited:
Searched to see if it had been asked and found this thread, so here goes.

As I'm not often called thin, on the rare occasions I get a following wind, am I better sat up to create a bigger area for the tail wind to hit, or crouched over to punch a smaller hole and be more aerodynamic?

i had a headwind from hell in my face today, thing is it was blazing sunshine. but yeah you hate that when you look at the grass and it's not moving an inch and you are battling like stink to get anywhere

question is would you rather have a headwind and sunshine, or no wind and rain :tongue:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As I'm not often called thin, on the rare occasions I get a following wind, am I better sat up to create a bigger area for the tail wind to hit, or crouched over to punch a smaller hole and be more aerodynamic?

Had the same conversation with Adrian of this Parish earlier today. We concluded that the wind has to be pretty strong say 20+mph for you to benefit from a push, whereas the aero tuck benefits all the time so the tuck wins.

jarlrmai

Veteran
In a related thought I tend to notice anything below moving at 17 mph on the flat feels deadly slow for some reason, if I can sustain anything above that i'm happy enough.

So even though I know i'm putting in a decent amount of effort it just feels really uncomfortable to ride at 16 or less.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Had the same conversation with Adrian of this Parish earlier today. We concluded that the wind has to be pretty strong say 20+mph for you to benefit from a push, whereas the aero tuck benefits all the time so the tuck wins.

I have a similar physique so am always battling the wind resistance. I find with a really nice following wind (say 15-20mph) I feel best sitting up. I'm still going faster than the wind so have a little headwind, but it's so much more comfortable than crouching over and doing the turtle

I don't go out on mega windy days....maybe with a 30mph following wind I should hoist the spinnaker

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I had a big ChillConCarne one night before a ride, that resulted in some strange wind....

I was waiting for such a post!! :giggle:

i had a headwind from hell in my face today, thing is it was blazing sunshine. but yeah you hate that when you look at the grass and it's not moving an inch and you are battling like stink to get anywhere

question is would you rather have a headwind and sunshine, or no wind and rain :tongue:

Hmmm, it all depends on the circumstances, doesn't it??

Top Bottom