The woman who stops traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Didn't see said programme. How exactly did she stop the traffic?
Was it all about a little old lady called Gladys with a hi-viz coat and a lollipop stick?

domd1979

Veteran

Jaded

She was up against an inbred mass of whale blubber.

OK. That's a bit harsh. It must have been the editing.

iacula

I didn't see the Marlow one but saw the Boston one last night. It does show the problems the Goverment have in reducing car use. Restrict there use and get voted out! It's up to the rest of us to show the way; make cycling desireable/fashionable/ sophisticated or something. The only alternative is some sort of benign dictatorship perhaps, like Cuba, though I understand Cuba's dictatorship is not or has not always been benign

levad

Veteran
I thought it very interesting that the "deprived estate" eventually embrassed the idea and made comments about how good life maybe if they continued not driving to school.

Dissappointing that the hospital staff didn't get it.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'd bet if the Beckhams or some other pointless 'celebrity' started going on and on about riding a bike being trendy, the streets would be filled with gossip-mag-reading types wobbling about on bikes.

Then you'd start getting 'designer' bikes and 'Pimp My Bike' shows...

;):eek:

Until then, the car is king in those folks' minds.

yenrod

iacula said:
I didn't see the Marlow one but saw the Boston one last night. It does show the problems the Goverment have in reducing car use. Restrict there use and get voted out! It's up to the rest of us to show the way; make cycling desireable/fashionable/ sophisticated or something. The only alternative is some sort of benign dictatorship perhaps, like Cuba, though I understand Cuba's dictatorship is not or has not always been benign

Therefore its got to be mandatory and not government legislation.

END OF !

This is not a Labour or Con. thought of' law - its for everybody.

davidwalton

yenrod said:
Therefore its got to be mandatory and not government legislation.

END OF !

This is not a Labour or Con. thought of' law - its for everybody.

No Government will ever put it's self in to a position, willingly, that it can't get out of in time for the next election. It isn't about doing what is right, and never has been. It is all about remaining in power and their party. The people come a way down the lists of priorities, after the Party, Sponsors, MP's, Councilors, MEP'S, anyone else they like, then the people.

The right thing only happens when it is in Governments interest.

domd1979

Veteran
Depressingly the government are currently reviewing planning policy statements. The direction it appears to be going in is to remove the presumption of town centre development in PPS6 and to remove maximum parking standards in PPS13 (i.e. local authorities will be free to determine how much parking a development should be permitterd to have). Obviously those policies will do wonders for traffic levels...

Top Bottom