The World Cup - qualifying neighbours question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No.

One of the rules of football is that you hate your immediate neighbours.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Slovakia was the team my son drew to do all his homework about for the last few weeks... had to find out about the country, the team design them a football shirt etc. And the others in the class have found out about other countries... and then they are sharing the information with the rest of the class. I think that's quite a good homework theme.

mangaman

The Czech's and Slovaks were one of the few countries to split amicably and remain friendly.

In fact they are considering combining their football leagues again to improve the standard.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
summerdays said:
Slovakia was the team my son drew to do all his homework about for the last few weeks... had to find out about the country, the team design them a football shirt etc. And the others in the class have found out about other countries... and then they are sharing the information with the rest of the class. I think that's quite a good homework theme.

It's a great place for a holiday - I've been a couple of times and really like it. The high tatras are great for mountain walks and there are numerous interesting cities throughout the country such as Kosice, Bratislava, Banska Bystrica and many more. I've always found the people to be extremely nice and they are one of the first eastern countries to adopt the euro currency. Of course, the country still has some problems from the communist era but overall a great place IMO.

Nearly forgot, the beers are among the finest in the world, and fairly cheap too.

soulful dog

Veteran
They might be amicable neighbours, but I'd guess probably not. Do you think people in Austria will be cheering on Germany, will Belgian fans be supporting the Dutch, Canadians following USA etc? It might make things more interesting but why would they support them?

mangaman said:
The Czech's and Slovaks were one of the few countries to split amicably and remain friendly.

we have a girl from slovakia who told me much the same thing when we were chatting about the very subject a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom