The world of knives!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

graham56

Guru
How about a nice Fairburn Sykes, it will certainly sharpen pencils.:biggrin: :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I bought one in Switzerland with a rounded end for my youngest last Oct, but we are waiting for it to be warmer before we try using it... cold fingers and knives probably don't mix very well.

barq

User76 said:
So, in my research I uncovered an extremely bizarre world of knife forums, knife addicts and survivalists:ohmy: Don't get me wrong, these aren't scrotes stabbing each other in the street, but grown men who cherish and spend sums of money on one off creations which, well to be frank, I probably wouldn't spend on a bike:wacko:

I went to some forums for some specific information (in much the same way as many people would first come here for advice/help). The most hilarious was this bloke, who on account of owning a moderately expensive samurai sword, reckoned he was a modern day "warrior". He was one of those survivalists who thought civilisation was teetering on the brink of collapse. Slightly worrying were those who with no training were swinging their 4 foot katanas around in their back gardens and cutting stuff up. ;)

In the interests of fairness I should point out that most sword collectors seemed very sensible and had a healthy respect for safety - but of course it isn't them who stick in my mind! :laugh:

ChrisKH

Guru
My son asked for one as he is a Cub and likes sharpening sticks,etc. Where exactly do we stand with regards to the law on these now? I remember having two big FO knives when I was a teenager (one folded, the other was a sheathed knife, both used for camping, etc.) that would get you a jail sentence these days.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
ChrisKH said:
My son asked for one as he is a Cub and likes sharpening sticks,etc. Where exactly do we stand with regards to the law on these now? I remember having two big FO knives when I was a teenager (one folded, the other was a sheathed knife, both used for camping, etc.) that would get you a jail sentence these days.

I was helping in my son's class at school when he was 5. And in the group of kids I was supervision outside, one pulled out a pen-knife. He wasn't going to do anything with it, he was a nice kid, but he had to be reported to the teacher, and pen-knife removed. It was a very embarrassed parent who picked up her son at the end of the day. I think theoretically he could of been suspended for that.

My kids have been told they can't take their penknives anywhere apart from camping or perhaps a walk in the wood.

As a child I was given my father's one when I went to guide camp. Obviously I wouldn't do this now, but at my daughters' guide group, when they go camping they take a box of knives and have that as one of the activities they do on camp. I think that is a good compromise.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I thought the whole point of a penknife, after you've sharpened sticks with them in the camp you and your mates made in the woods, and accidentally burnt it down whern you had a bonfire (ah, them were the days :smile:) was to play SPLITS... you know, you start facing your pal with both feet together, you throw your knife into the ground near his feet, and he has to move one foot out to where the knife is. Then he does the same for you... and so on, till both of you are doing the splits and the first one to fall over is the loser :tongue:

Night Train

Maker of Things
Fnaar said:
I thought the whole point of a penknife, after you've sharpened sticks with them in the camp you and your mates made in the woods, and accidentally burnt it down whern you had a bonfire (ah, them were the days :biggrin:) was to play SPLITS... you know, you start facing your pal with both feet together, you throw your knife into the ground near his feet, and he has to move one foot out to where the knife is. Then he does the same for you... and so on, till both of you are doing the splits and the first one to fall over is the loser :smile:
Now, go away and do a risk assessment for that one after you've taken away the knives and replaced them with juggling bean bags and issued protective goggles. :tongue: :biggrin::biggrin:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
I thought the whole point of a penknife, after you've sharpened sticks with them in the camp you and your mates made in the woods, and accidentally burnt it down whern you had a bonfire (ah, them were the days :biggrin:) was to play SPLITS... you know, you start facing your pal with both feet together, you throw your knife into the ground near his feet, and he has to move one foot out to where the knife is. Then he does the same for you... and so on, till both of you are doing the splits and the first one to fall over is the loser :tongue:

I haven't played that game since my knife throwing school days :smile:

tyred

Legendary Member
I have a simple single blade penknife with a 4" blade and a wooden and brass handle since I was about 8. It was given to me by Grandad and is God only knows what age, has a pretty sharp Sheffield steel blade and is one of my most treasured possesions.

barq

Up to 3" non-locking knives are legal. Other than that I think it depends greatly on convincing the police officer involved. My sense is that with the current anxiety about knife crime a young person might have difficulty winning an argument about why they had a reason.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I got given one o' they swiss army knives wi' all the bits (magnifier incl) for my 21st. May well have been the best pressie I ever got.

My youngest got given a small-blade one for her birthday, and almost immediately cut herself with it. Which is fine by me. She has to learn. Since then, lots of evidence that she has.

Top Bottom