There are other folders out there..................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Seems that it's mainly Bromptons that get a look in here.:unsure:
Well, here's something a little different.
I was looking out for a couple of folding bikes for general 'foldy' use. I tried a couple of friends Bromptons, liked the foldability - didn't like the ride quality. Tried a couple of different Dahons, liked the ride - didn't much like the price.
Had a good look around to see what was on the market and settled on a couple of these.
Screenshot_1a.jpg

Bought, with a deal of caution, from Halfords (my missus used to work for them and could tell a few horror stories!), but the deal was good if ordered online and an extra 10% off that day as well.
Took delivery after Halfords had PDI'd the bikes and I took them home and went through them with a fine tooth comb. Faults? All tyre pressures way too low, brakes not centreing, and gears not indexing properly on one bike.
Apart from that - which I was expecting anyway - all was good.
Have used them on numerous occasions now and I'm entirely happy with them. Ride quality is good, nothing has fallen off or broken and I think they actually look quite good. Pretty much a Dahon copy but with 8 gears.
Not the lightest folder around, granted, but you get what you pay for in this life.
I'm happy with them and would recommend to anyone who wants a decent quality ride - I've done 30 mile days on them and hit 32 mph downhill once and it felt perfectly safe.
Got the pair for £600. :secret:

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I was checking those out the other day. Nice looking & carrera seem to be decent enough. Enjoy.

I'm sure those who have posted about Dahon, Tern, Mezzo, Strida, Raleigh Stowaways, Decathlon folders. Airnimals,Birdys et al won't mind your not noticing their threads in the folding section :smile:

The title was meant to be a bit 'tongue in cheek' - Bromptons do seem to be a bit over represented.;)

Brompton's nepotist dealings wity SOuth West Trains to ensure that other folders do not meet the criteria for carriage is moret han a little worrying

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I have a Tern link D8 and a Brompton, the tern is a practical everyday bicycle as much as the Brompton is, I much prefer the 8 speed 11-32 cassette on the tern to the unreasonable gear options on the Brompton, you need the thighs of Lars Boom to make that thing go in anything but the bottom two gears (ok I'm exaggerating but it could do with a smaller front chainring) . However the Tern is an impractical heavy lump when folded, I might be able to get two Terns in the boot of my car, reckon I could fit at least six Bromptons in the same space.

Sara_H

Guru
I've got a decathlon Hoptown and a Brompton.

Overall, the Hoptown is comfier, but I find it to heavy and cumbersome to carry onto trains etc, the Brompton wins hands down from that point if view.
Gearing much better on the Brompton too.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Brompton's nepotist dealings wity SOuth West Trains to ensure that other folders do not meet the criteria for carriage is moret han a little worrying

We've taken the Carreras on the train to Exeter without any bother. Very busy on the way back, but got on train with 20 seconds to go thanks to a helpful guard.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Btwin 6 speed folder, a Deawoo Shuttle (ruddy dreadful), a Bickerton project bike, and a M6R Brommie. The Brom gets most use by far, and the Btwin is the spare.
The Brompton isn't the only folding bike, true. But it's the best.
*hides*

Sara_H

Guru
Btwin 6 speed folder, a Deawoo Shuttle (ruddy dreadful), a Bickerton project bike, and a M6R Brommie. The Brom gets most use by far, and the Btwin is the spare.
The Brompton isn't the only folding bike, true. But it's the best.
*hides*
I love my Brompton so much. It's about to undergo repairs when I get the payout from my crash, am going to ask the bike mechanic to save all the bits so I can make jewellery etc out of them.

mustang1

Guru
I don't own or use a folding bike but I know if I were to buy one, then the folding part of the folding bike would be pretty important to me and therefore I would only consider a brompton. It has the best fold.

I understand others just need a meagre fold or a cheaper bike or other qualities,so pls don't consider this a troll post.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I don't own or use a folding bike but I know if I were to buy one, then the folding part of the folding bike would be pretty important to me and therefore I would only consider a brompton. It has the best fold.

I understand others just need a meagre fold or a cheaper bike or other qualities,so pls don't consider this a troll post.

Agreed, the Brompton probably has the best fold, but from my experience they don't have the best ride.
I tend to spend more time riding than folding.;)

Last edited:

mustang1

Guru
Agreed, the Brompton probably has the best fold, but from my experience they don't have the best ride.
I tend to spend more time riding than folding.;)
We are both right for different reasons. Having said that, if I have a full size bike and take one wheel off, does that not serve the same purpose as that of a folding bike, to reduce the amount of space the bike takes up while its parked? And if that's the case, then a full size bike gives an even better ride and since we spend most time riding, that should be a more suitable bike, no?

Top Bottom