There are other folders out there..................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Well, 9 months in and the 2 Carrera folders mentioned in the thread opening post are still going strong. Both now have about 500 miles on them, over various terrain, and have had no problems. Longest ride was about 30 miles around Bath - road, cycle path and canal towpath. Gearing copes with most hills and the standard saddles are remarkably comfortable.
Overall I would recommend one to anyone on a budget.:okay:

mustang1

Guru
I took a brompton on the train today as despite its small folded size, its still a pretty large thing. I'd hate to make anything larger.

Kell

Veteran
As a relatively recent convert to Brompton, I think the prejudice against not only them, but the buyers of them, is not justified. To suggest that they're the first and only consideration for most people is ludicrous.

Cost:
Yes it's expensive, but compared to what? I've looked at virtually every other brand and discounted them for one reason or another. And one of the reasons was cost - certainly brands like Airminal (not a great fold either), Birdy and Oribike are more expensive or are on par.

Small wheel v big wheel:
For the record, the Brompton is my fourth folding bike as I didn't really want to get a 'small wheeled' bike. I had three full size folders - two Dahons and one Dahon clone. While I never had any problems with the legality of taking any of the three full size ones on the my train (Chiltern Railways) I did occasionally have to miss a train as there simply wasn't room to get on with the full size bike - fine if you were there first.

The actual fold:
We have two cars and I have to drive to the station in the mornings as I need to drop my daughter off at the child minders before parking the car up and riding to the station. The full-size ones would only go in the back of the estate car, not our convertible Mini. So whenever my wife needed the big car, I had to not cycle. This cost me about an extra £10 per day due to parking costs and tube fares and I'd rather ride anyway.

Looks:
I liked the look of the full-size bikes as they looked like a 'normal' bike. Initially I discounted Bromptons, because every one I saw was in BRG, with a brown leather brooks saddle, too upright, and normally had someone pootling along on it at about 8 mph. But I thought I'd better investigate some small wheeled folders and I did test ride a Dahon 8-speed small wheel folder back in 2008 before I got my first folder, and it was not solid at all. Compare that to this year and my first ride on the Brompton and I was surprised at how soild it felt. I also think that without the M bars, they look a bit better, although mine is wearing short risers bars due to the S being just a little bit too low. The new range of colours helps.

The ride:
Whoever said they're slow, or that Brommie riders aren't interested in performance is sadly mistaken. I've ridden 6 bikes on my normal commute now. A cheapo B'Twin Triban 3 road bike, a rabbit.de 26" folder, a Dahon Matrix 2008 with the big hinge, a Dahon Matrix 2009 with the lockjaw system, an M3L hired Brompton and my current H6L Brompton. I use Strava and my current Brommie is second only to the road bike on certain sections and only seconds off the pace of the Dahons on others. It's really not a slow machine. I've topped mine out at 44.4mph on a downhill section, and it sits quite happily at about 18mph on the flat. over 11.5 miles on my commute, I average about 15.5mph which is exactly the same as the Dahon and is more down to traffic lights and traffic than anything else.

Overall, it's the bike I should have bought years ago. I can use it every day, regardless of which car I'm in, it fits on the train properly and it is future proof (Chiltern were going to introduce a two-fold only rule for folders meaning anything with a single hinge would then become not strictly legal).

Top Bottom