There are other folders out there..................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
We are both right for different reasons. Having said that, if I have a full size bike and take one wheel off, does that not serve the same purpose as that of a folding bike, to reduce the amount of space the bike takes up while its parked? And if that's the case, then a full size bike gives an even better ride and since we spend most time riding, that should be a more suitable bike, no?

Try taking a wheel out of a full size, non folding, bike and getting on a bus or a crowded train with it........................................:thumbsdown:

mustang1

Guru
Try taking a wheel out of a full size, non folding, bike and getting on a bus or a train with it........................................:thumbsdown:
Good point. In that case how about both wheels, seat post taken off and put in a bag then the bars ziptied to the top tube? :eek:

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'd rather have one that folds in an acceptable manner, but which offers a better riding experience. Thanks all the same. :hello:

byegad

Legendary Member
I rode a Dahon Speed-Pro, 24 gears and stable enough to ride no hands, It folded enough to pop into the car along with luggage for a fortnight and another Dahon but I'd have not wanted to be constantly carrying it far, as you may need to do if using the train.

The ride quality was surprisingly good and I'd often take it out in preference to my Thorn Club Tour when folding was not needed.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I liked the ride quality of the Dahons I had a go on. Unfortunately I couldn't stretch to buying two of them (would have done if they had come within budget), hence the Carreras, which are very similar. Ride quality, having ridden both, is just as good, in my opinion.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you are commutting daily on a crowded train then the Brommie is the best option.

If not then others & bigger wheel folders docome into play. That careera looks very good value as is the decathlon dahon copy.

Sara_H

Guru
Ahhh. That's heartwarming.
And just a bit scary...
Recycled bike bits jewellery is all the rage, I already have some bike chain link earrings.

jay clock

Massive member
I have both a Brompton (S3L) and a Dahon (speed P8). Agreed the Dahon rides better (although the device that hold the handlebar stem looks and feels like it is made of chewing gum and could fold over at any point [but never has done]) but the Dahon when folded is huge and cumbersome and I would not take on a crowded train. The Brompton lives in a corner of the living room where the Dahon would never have fitted, and hence gets used far more often

StuartG

slower but further
I have a Brompton and an audax type bike. They are the complete package in two bikes. If I could have n+2 then I may add a Tern and a faster/sleeker chunk of soot. But if I had to go n-1 it would be the Brompton.

It does everything I can. From going on the tube, down to the Co-op as my shopping trolley to the mountains of Wales and this year's ride to the Med. You don't even have to worry about using (or even paying) for public transport or taking it into any hotel room or practically anywhere else. At home it sits inauspiciously in a corner by the front door ready to ride anytime anywhere in mufti or complete lycra, trainers or SPDs. Its been out on three different errands today alone. No other bike can do all that. IMHO the only reason not to consider the Brompton is either cost (the b'twin/carrera look like good alternatives) or you only need to fold it into your boot when a Dahon/Tern comes into its own.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Agreed, the Brompton probably has the best fold, but from my experience they don't have the best ride.
I tend to spend more time riding than folding.;)
This was exactly my POV as a Birdy rider of long standing. My bike was for riding not looking at the pretty fold.
There is a bedding in period with a Brompton, as with any hub gear IMO, but a week or two in and it becomes second nature to ride the wheels off it and it becomes a totally different beast from the occasional borrow or test ride.
I'm not going to say it is the perfect or even the best riding folder (ah Mr Birdy, why you soooooo expensive) but a little effort getting to know it reaps a bigger reward & allied to the undeniable fact of the fold being out on its own, does put the Brompton overall into a class of one as a total allrounder ;)

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
My Brompton handles a lot better when it has the S bag attached to the front. Personally I would not want to ride major distances but it comes into its own around town. For example tomorrow I get a train into London arriving at 11, have two separate meetings in the West End at 1130 and 1230 and another in the City at 2. The folder pretty much guarantees that I can make it to the different offices in time. The clincher is that when I ask receptionist to store the bike the Brompton gets a smile and a few questions, whereas the Dahon looks a mess, is harder to handle (for them) and looks like a normal bike that has been axed in half. Rides well though!

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
If Brompton ever got around to offering a belt drive version of the single speed M1E I'd snap it up straight away. Doing away with the heavy chain would ,in my humble opinion, make it a fair bit lighter to carry and easier to pedal. Or am I wrong about that?

Top Bottom