There, I've gone and done it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
L

Lochen

personally I would ride it a bit before a fitting, you may not need one.
Excuse a daft question, how will I know? Is it as simple as things aching that shouldn't (I'm new to this)
Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you find it comfortable with no issues then you'll be ok. I've never had a bike fit and never had issues. My advice would be to set the saddle height, your knee should lock out when your heel is on the pedal at its longest distance from the saddle, this is a good starting point. You may want to tweek it slightly as you get familiar with your bike. Then just get out and enjoy.

You'll be amazed at the difference a proper bike fit will make. A lot of people I've advised to have a bike fit done, who've "never needed one / bothered / wondered why they kept getting niggly injuries" have told me it turned out to be the best money they've spent on the bike.

The oft repeated ( very poor ) 'advice' about the positioning of the seat / pedals, so that your leg locks out with the heel on the pedal, should be the first thing on the 'not to do' list. That position is just about okay for velodrome / Turbo / roller riding, but very bad idea if you ride on a road. You'll only hit a pothole / crack / manhole cover / drain once, with your bike / leg position set up like that, before realising the error.:ohmy:

Tim Hall

The oft repeated ( very poor ) 'advice' about the positioning of the seat / pedals, so that your leg locks out with the heel on the pedal, should be the first thing on the 'not to do' list. That position is just about okay for velodrome / Turbo / roller riding, but very bad idea if you ride on a road. You'll only hit a pothole / crack / manhole cover / drain once, with your bike / leg position set up like that, before realising the error.:ohmy:
Now there's interesting. Just up thread someone suggests "your knee should lock out when your heel is on the pedal at its longest distance from the saddle" as a good starting point, whilst you seem to be arguing against it. What happens when you hit a pothole with the bike setup like that?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Now there's interesting. Just up thread someone suggests "your knee should lock out when your heel is on the pedal at its longest distance from the saddle" as a good starting point, whilst you seem to be arguing against it. What happens when you hit a pothole with the bike setup like that?
By the time you place the ball of your foot on the pedal the knee will no longer be at full extension or 'locked out'. This only really works with flat pedals, once you take into account cleats etc it goes a 'bit to cock' so trial and error takes over (or a bike fit if you've money to burn)

Tim Hall

By the time you place the ball of your foot on the pedal the knee will no longer be at full extension or 'locked out'. This only really works with flat pedals, once you take into account cleats etc it goes a 'bit to cock' so trial and error takes over (or a bike fit if you've money to burn)
That was my understanding too, but I'm still like to learn a bit more.

Top Bottom