Thermal Socks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
New Horizon said:
Cheap enough - willing to take a punt as have terrible cold feet (not cycling, but at home generally). Whats the sizing like on these? I'm a 46 which is about an 11 - they do 6-11 or 12-14 - one could be too small, one too big!

I found them a little on the loose side, but only just.
Good luck
Jeff

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
Davidc said:
On your recommendation Jeff, I've just ordered a couple of pairs.

They'd better be good or the lads'll be round! (When the weather warms up).

Actually in the ad they looked just what I've been looking for, and at a sensible price.

I ordered a couple of pairs yesterday afternoon and they arrived this morning! Not had a chance to try them out yet! Good service though!

watsonrodriguez

Thermo Socks (sometimes referred to as “thermo socks“) are one of the most essential ingredients in the climate of chilly winters. With the help of such close fitting thermal socks, what one achieves is the entrapment of heat that aids in the regulation of core body temperature.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Are the £5 ones short/ankle length? I see they are out of red and black ones at the moment (6-11s).

RATCHET

carbon price should read £16. 30

Davidc

Guru
jethro10 said:
Found these 2 months ago and they are the warmest socks in the world! I know, I've tried all the others!

http://www.thewarmestthermalsocks.co.uk/

A pair of overshoes as well and it's the best you can get.

Jeff

Mine came today, not long before I was going out on the bike.

Put a pair on, and set off. temperature 4 degrees, 15mph north wind.

Following my little test I think I'm going to have to send them back, wih a complaint......
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They're too hot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My feet got so hot they started sweating. It's completely unheard of when cycling in these conditions. It made me feel warm right through my body. The world's gone mad.

The wierd bit though is that although they were a bit hot on the bike, they didn't feel excessively hot walking round Sainsburys, and sitting in the office this afternoon they were brilliant.

I think they'll turn out to be one of the year's best buys - so thanks jethro10

youngoldbloke

A bit of feedback re. the Heat Holder socks now I have worn and washed them a couple of times: Yes - they are very warm and cosy, but IMHO not much better than pair of M&S thermal socks with thin inner socks. The sizing, 6-11, is not very good for those with smaller feet - for me (size 7) the socks are far too big. Being thick and chunky this rules out the possibility of using a liner sock. (I may well order a pair of the womens size in the hope that the fit is better). I find the length annoying - longer than ankle length, the sort of sock that is guaranteed to slip down and bunch up - not good under tights. I machine washed them - slight shrinkage, and I'm not sure that they will still look very smart after a few washes. All in all, recommended for everyday use, a good price and definitely warm and toasty, but not quite perfect :biggrin:.

Davidc

Guru
My feet are 9 1/2 so I fill the socks better than you, and haven't had any problems. 2 washes on one pair, one on the other now and no noticeable deterioration. I haven't tumble dried them.

I've been using an ordinary pair of socks as liners OK, and haven't experienced any slipping at all. They really are knee length too.

I did have M&S thermal socks, which wore well and were reasonably warm. These Heat Holders are better. The M&S ones lasted over 2 years, and it'll be interesting to see if this brushed material lasts as long.

My only complaint is still as above - in any temperature above 1 deg C they're too hot!

So far I agree with y-o-b.
recommended for everyday use, a good price and definitely warm and toasty
but when it's below freezing I'm thinking they may be very close to perfect!

Damaged Hero

Veteran
Based on a test in Cycling Active i picked up a pair of Prendas Winter Thermolite Socks £7.95 from www.prendas.co.uk. Wore them on a 25 miler on Saturday,made no difference at all.Toes were like blocks of ice,although i am no longer blaming that on the socks.

I wear a pair of Specialized BG Elite Road Shoes which have vents on the bottom of the shoe.I now think that this may be making my feet cold,so for my next ride i am going to block the vents up to see if that makes a difference.

youngoldbloke

Damaged Hero said:
Based on a test in Cycling Active i picked up a pair of Prendas Winter Thermolite Socks £7.95 from www.prendas.co.uk. Wore them on a 25 miler on Saturday,made no difference at all.Toes were like blocks of ice,although i am no longer blaming that on the socks.

I wear a pair of Specialized BG Elite Road Shoes which have vents on the bottom of the shoe.I now think that this may be making my feet cold,so for my next ride i am going to block the vents up to see if that makes a difference.

I am not terribly impressed by the Prendas winter socks, though they are very pretty, and obviously highly technical :tongue:, being L and R foot specific and so on. (What happens if you put them on the wrong foot? - I haven't dared!)
I am sure the vents don't help - I block mine (all year round) using Blu-Tack.

Top Bottom