Thermal Socks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carbon

Veteran
Hello all, just have a quick question, can anyone recommend a decent pair of thermal socks for road use?

Made it out last Saturday, first time since Xmas being as we have had pretty much constant snow and ice since then and despite only doing a quick 20 miles my feet were bl**dy frozen when I got home...

The rest of me was fine, the thermal bib tights Jersey & gloves I picked up from Decathlon did a great job!

Any suggestions / links greatly appreciated.

beancounter

These work for me, together with some Planet X neoprene overshoes.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=17133

bc

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
M&S - just as good as some of the 'technical' ones. Of course, after the recent weather you will be lucky to find any in stock.

OP
OP
Carbon

Carbon

Veteran
Thanks everyone, like the sound of those Possum socks, I've never seen a frozen Possum :bravo:

Think I'll try a pair of those if I can find any stock on-line today...

Just hope I don't attract the attention of any animal rights campaigners next time I'm out, could well do without people chucking red paint at me!

Cheers.

ASC1951

Guru
Carbon said:
The rest of me was fine, the thermal bib tights Jersey & gloves I picked up from Decathlon did a great job!
You don't mention overshoes.

Socks keep your feet warm by trapping air. If your shoes are a good fit the rest of the time, you won't be able to get a thick pair of socks in; and if you do, your feet may still be cold because they will be cramped. Overshoes are a better way to deal with the same problem, unless you are one of those people whose feet are still cold inside overshoes, in which case you may even end up with winter shoes and rest of the year shoes.

OP
OP
Carbon

Carbon

Veteran
Yeah, not tried overshoes and bearing in mind my shoes are Shimano RO86's which have a highly breathable upper and a damn big hole in the sole (great in warm weather) maybe overshoes are the way to go....

So, any suggestions on a cheapish pair of overshoes that'll do the trick?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Carbon said:
Yeah, not tried overshoes and bearing in mind my shoes are Shimano RO86's which have a highly breathable upper and a damn big hole in the sole (great in warm weather) maybe overshoes are the way to go....

So, any suggestions on a cheapish pair of overshoes that'll do the trick?
I use ones from Decathlon. What are those holes for? I have blocked mine up with Blu-Tack.

Hont

Guru
You've got to go with overshoes. I used to go out with 3 pairs of socks and still have frozen feet. Since I got overshoes I just use regular cycling ankle socks. Got my overshoes from Decathlon as well and they're just fine.

jethro10 said:
I have terribly cold feet all the time.
Have suffered for 20+ years, Murino et al, have been not enough.
Found these 2 months ago and they are the warmest socks in the world! I know, I've tried all the others!
http://www.thewarmestthermalsocks.co.uk/
Jeff

Cheap enough - willing to take a punt as have terrible cold feet (not cycling, but at home generally). Whats the sizing like on these? I'm a 46 which is about an 11 - they do 6-11 or 12-14 - one could be too small, one too big!

Top Bottom