these dam pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
How about biking shoes without cleats fitted? A better solution, gives your sole and arch the support it needs, so foot doesn't bend over the pedal causing fatigue.

Licramite

Über Member
before I went clipless I had toe clips, they were good as they kept your foot in the right place on the peddle without actually holding your foot in place.
so if you don't fancy clips try those, dead cheep from halfordsd,no special shoes.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I put flats back on my bike after a knee problem. Found toe clip without straps ok but they used to drag on the road which annoyed me at times. I cut them down with a stanley knife ant they were fine. I toured with them but now I'm back on SPDs. I never think about unclipping. Just do it. My detailed pedal experiences and suprisingly cheap good cycling shoes experiences are on my blog.

OP
OP
paddypete

paddypete

How about biking shoes without cleats fitted? A better solution, gives your sole and arch the support it needs, so foot doesn't bend over the pedal causing fatigue.
before I went clipless I had toe clips, they were good as they kept your foot in the right place on the peddle without actually holding your foot in place.
so if you don't fancy clips try those, dead cheep from halfordsd,no special shoes.
yes i've got them on at the moment,lucky for me,if i had spd's on,i would have had a few cuts to talk about after todays ride

andym

Über Member
I've managed to fall off with both clipless and toe-clips - I'd got on the bike in a hurry forgetting I was wearing trainers with thicker soles came to a stop at some traffic lights and realised that I wasn't going to get my foot out before I toppled over). As is often the case there was was someone to witness the whole thing as I tipped over sideways.

Ride whichever one suits you. Toeclips have advantages in that they work with most shoes, but once you get used to them SPDs are really pretty easy. In fact as easy as falling off ... a bike.

theloafer

Legendary Member
Ride whichever one suits you. Toeclips have advantages in that they work with most shoes, but once you get used to them SPDs are really pretty easy. In fact as easy as falling off ... a bike

falling off was easy in my 30,s:laugh:....will be my 60th in july..:bravo:.. I don't bounce that good any more,, :thumbsdown:

robing

Über Member
It's personal preference, but since going clipless 5 years ago I wouldn't go back. I've got Look keo on my road bikes and spd on my touring bike. Actually they are flat one side, spd the other so best of both worlds. You can unclip and use the flats when you are in traffic for example.

Top Bottom