They need to BAN speed humps....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just a thought, if they "ban" them, how much will it cost to remove all those presently on the roads?

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Just a thought, if they "ban" them, how much will it cost to remove all those presently on the roads?

If they start taxing the Prius owners for the damage their cars do to the roads, then I'm sure there will be a surplus which they can use to sort this problem out :thumbsup: They are getting off very lightly ATM, and need to be punished included in the system which helps to fund the roads we all use ^_^

Anyway these speed humps seriously slow me down, and the road surface on either side of them gets badly worn by the buses, lorries and Prius's going over them all the time.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 2620962, member: 45"]They're doing the old surface dressing on a long stretch of road down our way today. It's a very well-used cycle route. I doubt that it will be when they've finished.

The point being that councils don't have the money any more, so they're having to revert to the cheapest options, of which the terrible surface dressing is one. Speed humps don't really come into the discussion.[/quote]

Its alright if you ride a MTB, but we are short of mountains in England, so for those of us who like to ride on the road (and not the pavement either), it is not unreasonable to ask for a reasonable surface to ride on. Speed humps simply don't slow the traffic which need to be slowed down, but affect the passage of those who don't....is it

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Road near me has speed humps but a humpless cycle lane down either side. It works perfectly.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

Roads all around my area are patinated by the lack of maintenance which make riding on them a real boneshaking experience, the poorly filled trenches of the utility companies which have been left with unsealed edges which the frost has got into are turning into long ruts to tramline you, The speed humps around this way which if aren'tthe rubbish speed cushions are built the full width of the road with sharply rising approach and departure ramps give you no choice than to slow right down to get over them to avoid pringling a wheel....just rubish really.. THe chavs who blast around in their cheap shed 'pool' or stolen cars don't slow for them in any case :sad:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Anyway these speed humps seriously slow me down, and the road surface on either side of them gets badly worn by the buses, lorries and Prius's going over them all the time.
What? I don't think i've come across any that slow me down.
Actually there is only one type that slow me down, and those are the big rubber ones you find in car parks. The ones on the road are easily doable at 20mph and I would even do some at 30.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

[QUOTE 2621026, member: 45"]I don't think you realise the extent of the financial bancruptcy in local authorities. You'll just have to get used to the roads.[/quote]

We go back to the ring fencing of the road network funds
I'm more than happy for a proportion of the £500+ I spent last year on VED as well as the countless £££ in fuel duty for all the fuel I bought as well as that margin included in shipping my goods/services around to be spent on a network I want to ride or drive on (and feel safe to do so)
If that also benefits people who don't directly pay for either through running a vehicle, then so be it.

They say it costs the gov £1 million for every fatality on the roads, if they might save 10% of those through better infrasturcture, we are talking a sizeable sum...not withstanding the loss to the individuals or those affected by their loss.

thefollen

Veteran
They're a real nuisance (when driving) around where I live in SW17. Almost every road has them with some being really rather harsh. No problems particularly on the bike, although with the central road ones they can invite a cyclist either into the middle of the road or the door zone.

Hit one in Richmond Park at speed and got some air on the road bike! Bit scary.

Quite amusing this morning however. A bloke in a real 'kevved up' mini with wheels that stick out the sides was behind me on the downhill of Silverthorne Road (after Clapham Old Town off Wandsworth road) and the car was lowered to the extent I could hear it scrape on every bump. I 'lolled'.

OP
OP
Linford

Linford

I'm not really phased by them in the cars TBH, I consider the speed cushions to be dangerous to motorcycles as the camber on the sides of them can try and force a direction change is you clip them...these sides are also gettin eroded badly by the buses, and can feel like riding across a cattle grid whilst being pushed sideways, but the full width speed humps are punishing on the wheels. they are as high as the kerbs around here, so no fun at all traversing them on the roadie , some in fact do in fact meet the pavement at the kerb :sad:

datalossuk

The roads around Ealing are terrible in places where I live the road is disintegrating at the bottom of the hill and is a patchwork of pot holes and patches. The speed bumps are rather painful coming down the hill here on a bike but do not stop speeding boy racers who make air over the speed table outside my house. That said Brent and Harrow's roads are in a much worse state.

Born2die

Round here the roads are appalling every road has speed humps and after riding past the local fire station you need a dentist to put your fillings back in. There's even a nice sweeping right hand bend at the bottom of a hill with 2 nice shiny slippy manhole covers right on the line for bikes it's nearly had me off more than once

Top Bottom