They weren't half ANGRY this weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cab

Cab

GrahamG said:
This is why living somewhere with so few cycle facilities (other than parking) is so aggro free. Don't get much of it in Birmingham. Well, not 'get in your lane' type aggro anyway :biggrin:

If I had my way, around half of all of the cycle 'farcilities' in Cambridge would be burned off the roads. Terrible, terrible cycle lanes that are too narrow, have terrible surfaces, or they're just filled with parked cars. They just encourage hatred and resentment of cyclists who (sensibly) avoid those lanes.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

zimzum42 said:
Driving in Cambridge is enough to anger up the most placid of people, especially Mill Road. Used to live on Vinery Road, down the far end of Mill Road. Safest and quickest way into town was often to walk!

We were getting off Mill Road right at the city end, literally just past the swimming pool (the first turn offs, she chose the left turn to cross the road afterwards, I was indicating right). But normally I don't find Mill Road to be TOO bad, I just sit it out in the traffic. Where are they planning to go when they get past me, are they going to fly over the car ahead? :biggrin:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I never really know what drivers in Cambridge think they are going to acheive. When i drive htere myself, I have to really switch off and just wait for the crawl to be over, either that or I go right around the houses through back streets to get anywhere.

Sometimes, I thought I was the only cyclist in town who overtook cars on the right, like going down Fen Causeway, got some really shocked looks as I used to fly past all the traffic....

Driving at night was OK in cam, but always took the bike unless I rally couldn't in the daytime.....

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

zimzum42 said:
Sometimes, I thought I was the only cyclist in town who overtook cars on the right, like going down Fen Causeway, got some really shocked looks as I used to fly past all the traffic....

Scares the hell out of them. They're so conditioned to expect cyclists on the inside, they can't easily cope with cyclists on the outside. I often go around the outside to get to an advance stop box that I use, it bothers them.

Maz

Guru
Cab said:
Here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&h...52.216669,0.134937&spn=0.001311,0.003573&z=18

Cycle lane on, I think, three of the entrances. The worst one is coming in from the North, where you can either follow the cycle lane around the outside or follow the cycle lane as it pops out right in front of traffic; you're best just ignoring the lane completely.
I know that roundabout. I come from the Chesterton Rd entry and turn right onto Eliz Way (towards city cent) when I drive to Cam.
I'll take a closer look next time!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I've ridden round here a number of times, and I can't even remember there being a cycle lane, shows how crap it must be. Just approach it like a car, ride round it like a car, just pedal fast!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Cool map of cambridge, move along to midsummer common and the fair is on!

Maz

Guru
zimzum42 said:
Cool map of cambridge, move along to midsummer common and the fair is on!
There's always some sort of fair going on there! That place is one big party. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Maz said:
I know that roundabout. I come from the Chesterton Rd entry and turn right onto Eliz Way (towards city cent) when I drive to Cam.
I'll take a closer look next time!

Ahh, now coming that way you've got a fairly reasonable ride; if memory serves the cycle lane on Chesterton Road peters out well before the roundabout. You'll recall that when you turn right onto Elizabety Way theres a fairly narrow cycle lane there? Thats one of the bad ones I'm referring to.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

zimzum42 said:
I've ridden round here a number of times, and I can't even remember there being a cycle lane, shows how crap it must be. Just approach it like a car, ride round it like a car, just pedal fast!

Thats normally the way to handle it. Can be hard to get back out for a right corner if you're coming from Elizabeth Way and turning Right, but otherwise if you're assertive and ignore the cycle lanes its okay.

I'll try to get some footage.

LOGAN 5

ChrisW said:
Is this just a Cambridge thing?

Around London cars are reasonably decent, they don'y cut me up, they let me in, and i can only remember 2 to 3 instances in 17 years of commuting where i've been shouted at.

Or is it a "Cab" thing? :biggrin:

You are joking aren't you? You're obviously leading a charmed life...!

ChrisW

BentMikey said:
I don't get shouted at very often either, but it's still quite a bit more than ChrisW's rate.

Maybe i'm sooooo lovely that they don't want to...:biggrin:

Or sooooo macho that they are scared to......:biggrin:

Or maybe i should just should stop deluding myself and get back in my box.:biggrin:

Top Bottom