They're at it again - Hyde Park

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

They've now laid gravel over 3 sections of the cycle path to slow riders down. Only problem is if anybody has to brake on it to slow or avoid a pedestrian wandering across there's a good chance of sliding on the stuff and crashing. It will be interesting when it's wet too. All the lane markings have disappeared on these bits so pedestrians have no warning that they're in a cycle lane. The gravel at the end of Rotten Row is tricky as riders negotiate turning right/left or going straight on mixing in with peds doing likewise with no lane to follow. Recipe for disaster me thinks.

Or maybe tomorrow they'll be putting up cyclist dismount signs:angry:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They may face some legal action if somone falls off on it, no matter how slowly they are riding.

Jezston

Über Member
fossyant said:
They may face some legal action if somone falls off on it, no matter how slowly they are riding.

And then they'll put up cyclists dismount signs to prevent it happening again :wacko:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There are short sections of gravel. I suspect it's just fine chippings to make the rough surfaces that many park paths have, and that once the surface has set, the chippings will be swept away to leave rough surfaced areas. This is the brownish stuff that many of the pedestrian only paths have, designed to keep off skaters and cyclists.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
There are short sections of gravel. I suspect it's just fine chippings to make the rough surfaces that many park paths have, and that once the surface has set, the chippings will be swept away to leave rough surfaced areas. This is the brownish stuff that many of the pedestrian only paths have, designed to keep off skaters and cyclists.

That sounds reasonable - after the previous botches, nothing would suprise me with RPs and their poorly implemented cyclist traffic calming measures.

yello

I used to avoid Hyde Park on the bike. I thought it a right pain most of the time, mainly due to pedestrians not realising they were wandering over a cycle lane. I preferred the roads as at least cars behaved with a degree of predictability!

That was over 3 years ago. It must be worse now.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Worth mentioning that pedestrians have priority on most of the so-called "cycle lanes" in the park, so technically they are entitled to so wander.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
yello said:
I used to avoid Hyde Park on the bike. I thought it a right pain most of the time, mainly due to pedestrians not realising they were wandering over a cycle lane. I preferred the roads as at least cars behaved with a degree of predictability!

That was over 3 years ago. It must be worse now.

I don't use it. But mainly because of the other cyclists, a good proportion of them are quite dangerous. I prefer to risk it on park lane :evil:

Top Bottom