Thick or what.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
I kid you not,as i type on here.My daughter is in conversation with Vodafone.As you know she is now living with us,till she finds a job and moves out. So in her flat she and her Uni mates used Vodafone for their internet.So she told them to cease the contract and cut off the internet at the flat in Edinburgh.If they needed to contact her,she would be in Meanwood Leeds. Well it's like talking to a brick wall.Vodafone cannot find an account for an address in Meanwood,cause they can't WE WE do not have one..But they want my daughter to open an account at our address so they can then close it ???????,WHY ,sadly they won't let me speak to the person on the other end,i'd call him a few Yorkshire names,,stuff your script,use your brain would be the polite reply.I'll come back later if it gets sorted today.

AndyRM

XOXO
They'll require an address to send on details of the account closure, request any outstanding payments or refund anything owed by them, which isn't unreasonable.

@postman didn't say they was asking for a contact address (although it sounds like she has already given them one if they are looking for an account at that address) he said they asked her to open an account at her current address.....so that they can then close it.

thing is , if it isn't on the script they are given they are clueless

AndyRM

XOXO
@postman didn't say they was asking for a contact address (although it sounds like she has already given them one if they are looking for an account at that address) he said they asked her to open an account at her current address.....so that they can then close it.

thing is , if it isn't on the script they are given they are clueless

Having worked in call centres, that's pretty much the same thing. We weren't allowed to send letters out to random addresses unless there was a registered account there. Not the most intelligent way to do it I agree, but someone, somewhere will have thought it made sense.

ETA: They're all different of course, and I don't know what Vodafone's policy is. I'm pretty sure their call centres are based in India though, so something may have been lost in translation.

Last edited:
Having worked in call centres, that's pretty much the same thing. We weren't allowed to send letters out to random addresses unless there was a registered account there. Not the most intelligent way to do it I agree, but someone, somewhere will have thought it made sense.

ETA: They're all different of course, and I don't know what Vodafone's policy is. I'm pretty sure their call centres are based in India though, so something may have been lost in translation.

I know what you are saying, but isn't it a bit daft when the customer has said.. look , I am no longer at that address , here is my new one....surely giving the call centre operative a bit of leeway to use a bit of common sense would be a good thing.

AndyRM

XOXO
I know what you are saying, but isn't it a bit daft when the customer has said.. look , I am no longer at that address , here is my new one....surely giving the call centre operative a bit of leeway to use a bit of common sense would be a good thing.

It is. But leeway is a thing rarely, if ever, afforded to a call centre worker at the level the OP brings up.

Top Bottom