Thieving scrotes took my tool kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a waterbottle battery nicked from my bike. The bottle was a really old manky one and the battery was a lead acid one I had wired up. Without the charger it was practically useless but it was nickable.

Thieves will steal anything they can no matter what is is. The worst case of this was a bunch of guys who broke into an old surgery in Brazil looking for scrap metal. They found a canister, broke it open and found powder that glowed blue in the dark. They took it home and eveyone played with the glowing blue poweder and the whole town was having fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident

I had a waterbottle battery nicked from my bike. The bottle was a really old manky one and the battery was a lead acid one I had wired up. Without the charger it was practically useless but it was nickable.

Thieves will steal anything they can no matter what is is. The worst case of this was a bunch of guys who broke into an old surgery in Brazil looking for scrap metal. They found a canister, broke it open and found powder that glowed blue in the dark. They took it home and eveyone played with the glowing blue poweder and the whole town was having fun.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goiânia_accident
spectacular thread drift there michael.

Would leaving a ticking clock in the saddle bag act as a deterrent, do you think? Or just cause thieves to chuck the bag and/or bike in the nearest dirty canal or river?
Might get a visit from the bomb squad and a controlled explosion.

I do use an alarm sometimes on tour but wouldn't use it when I was well away from the bike or where someone might accidentally disturb the bike on a shared stand - it's very loud.

Might get a visit from the bomb squad and a controlled explosion.

I do use an alarm sometimes on tour but wouldn't use it when I was well away from the bike or where someone might accidentally disturb the bike on a shared stand - it's very loud.
Hopefully you'd have finished your shopping and be packing it all up by the time the bomb squad arrived and you could just say, oh the old clock must have started itself - I was taking it to my grandad to see if he could fix it!
I've wondered about those alarms - sometimes if I'm not very far from the bike but it's out of my direct view, I think it might be useful.

I have wondered about getting one of those personal attack alarms
some are designed to fit in a bag (e.g. handbag) and have a wrist strap - so if your bag is stolen the wrist strap pulls out of the alarm - which then goes off
hence the thief is left running off witha bag that is making a very loud alarmy sound

clearly they would then, at best, just lob it over a hedge and leg it - but at least it would be nearby

My idea is to have a small hole in the bottom of my rack bag and have the strap poking out - and then have a piece of fishing line tied onto it with a hook at the end that can be wrapped around the thing the bike is locked to
if you take the bag the strap gets pulled out and the alarm goes off

Hopefully you'd have finished your shopping and be packing it all up by the time the bomb squad arrived and you could just say, oh the old clock must have started itself - I was taking it to my grandad to see if he could fix it!
I've wondered about those alarms - sometimes if I'm not very far from the bike but it's out of my direct view, I think it might be useful.
Will try to dig out details of mine. Someone on here has one but has lost the little control box/arming thingie

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Local urban cycling equals toolkit in rucksack or not at all on the basis the bike can be wheeled home if needed IMO. An alternative for someone who does not what to do that is a quick release saddle bag.

The alarm i referred to upthread @KnittyNorah

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303949857819?_trkparms=ispr=5&hash=item46c4d2c41b:g:A-sAAOSw~ohhLgw-&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACcPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSzaVbXtmGxqmWnpn8RLN2q8d0dEw51NrJRd1vhfwKoWI9iVG0RaLyfwyMRgRovx7zI4KPliP4FVjBCr4PwW6uiroFRWznMq7mSg7dGxJKgN3t%2F45TuOjt%2BEVGSpWxek3kO0%2F7k7yMJf%2F5r0O0jUrb0LbdETvIRgTutLiy%2FIVNbPHYtdSGaWKLJkebRN5nPeWoftkmrrkuMagPlFsEL3M0JkxOoOpTCS8qMqT8uWGZ%2F%2Bi%2FPQCW6F6azoM9MB3jNAowrBGNOFahVoUq5Rtb8xToSR2ac7tsoOadp12oiBfRTkWdjbCyp0M0VRnbLfUSzRKGJK6jYA4dVy9lq5TiOUg0EMduXRIDYvoTkRsHwkmEePy5Bz0sc00UsxHUKK%2FHLKzeePA2bmx4wbzv5xjmktjs2eYMHMarJWBNEGZ1MKLYi0L37rVIZ0d%2B05vWBY%2FuVsubj6MKes6TCF3fLYZnQe00g%2BuiqC9gU33Oad371pkNSYqalzdj1FR5GkrGqPkcz0RCjLxFGkqnoDBAp8Wt2l9LUcrxL%2Fpe2Hyms6ppIv24kFsGiOn1xz1RI6wyXjP1EJDuHRTfbmW3U1F%2F15JBrzEkwlKA9ZMh1Nqp5ytxKFZgneOFJvIgK19HpEWW4Jndo9oFt%2B%2BMIfvVZgN8WE6MormovXktkzuTdNEvdER28eOqVy6oc%2BZ2v3LKhpbMBSI%2FOSgXD6rdl2IDw1CZgyC0SJf4aPtp9Fh5LY3Ycv41LTk%2FzvHsyEqzJtY9rAm7EZwbcIViY0Bcv6RzyUd0yOKdgsTcgg%3D%3D|clp:2334524|tkp:BlBMUIaqsaeWXw

I can't remember where I got mine from - some ebay seller but almost certainly not that seller - can't vouch for them.
it's definitely the same one as someone else on here has - it's very commonly available from all sorts of sources.

They suggest that you attach it to the bike with zip ties which go through two slots on it but I don't like the idea of that - I wouldn't want it on the bike permanently and attaching and releasing zip ties as needed (even re-usable ones) would be a right pain.

So I use these:

plantties-jpeg.jpg

Not a permanent fix of course and a cool-headed thief could twist them free.

Or just smash the alarm.

But I count on any thief encountering its deafening screech deciding that it was best to just sod off and look for something else to nick.

as I said I only use it when i am nearby, ready to apologise to anyone if it should go off due to innocent contact.

any questions, just fire away.

(before you ask, it's non nuclear - blue or otherwise)

Last edited:
The alarm i referred to upthread @KnittyNorah

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303949857819?_trkparms=ispr=5&hash=item46c4d2c41b:g:A-sAAOSw~ohhLgw-&amdata=enc:AQAGAAACcPYe5NmHp%2B2JMhMi7yxGiTJkPrKr5t53CooMSQt2orsSzaVbXtmGxqmWnpn8RLN2q8d0dEw51NrJRd1vhfwKoWI9iVG0RaLyfwyMRgRovx7zI4KPliP4FVjBCr4PwW6uiroFRWznMq7mSg7dGxJKgN3t%2F45TuOjt%2BEVGSpWxek3kO0%2F7k7yMJf%2F5r0O0jUrb0LbdETvIRgTutLiy%2FIVNbPHYtdSGaWKLJkebRN5nPeWoftkmrrkuMagPlFsEL3M0JkxOoOpTCS8qMqT8uWGZ%2F%2Bi%2FPQCW6F6azoM9MB3jNAowrBGNOFahVoUq5Rtb8xToSR2ac7tsoOadp12oiBfRTkWdjbCyp0M0VRnbLfUSzRKGJK6jYA4dVy9lq5TiOUg0EMduXRIDYvoTkRsHwkmEePy5Bz0sc00UsxHUKK%2FHLKzeePA2bmx4wbzv5xjmktjs2eYMHMarJWBNEGZ1MKLYi0L37rVIZ0d%2B05vWBY%2FuVsubj6MKes6TCF3fLYZnQe00g%2BuiqC9gU33Oad371pkNSYqalzdj1FR5GkrGqPkcz0RCjLxFGkqnoDBAp8Wt2l9LUcrxL%2Fpe2Hyms6ppIv24kFsGiOn1xz1RI6wyXjP1EJDuHRTfbmW3U1F%2F15JBrzEkwlKA9ZMh1Nqp5ytxKFZgneOFJvIgK19HpEWW4Jndo9oFt%2B%2BMIfvVZgN8WE6MormovXktkzuTdNEvdER28eOqVy6oc%2BZ2v3LKhpbMBSI%2FOSgXD6rdl2IDw1CZgyC0SJf4aPtp9Fh5LY3Ycv41LTk%2FzvHsyEqzJtY9rAm7EZwbcIViY0Bcv6RzyUd0yOKdgsTcgg%3D%3D|clp:2334524|tkp:BlBMUIaqsaeWXw

I can't remember where I got mine from - some ebay seller but almost certainly not that seller - can't vouch for them.
it's definitely the same one as someone else on here has - it's very commonly available from all sorts of sources.

They suggest that you attach it to the bike with zip ties which go through two slots on it but I don't like the idea of that - I wouldn't want it on the bike permanently and attaching and releasing zip ties as needed (even re-usable ones) would be a right pain.

So I use these:

View attachment 614938

Not a permanent fix of course and cool-headed thief could twist them free.

Or just smash the alarm.

But I count on any thief encountering its deafening screech deciding that it was best to just sod off and look for something else to nick.

as I said I only use it when i am nearby, ready to apologise to anyone if it should go off due to innocent contact.

any questions, just fire away.

(before you ask, it's non nuclear - blue or otherwise)
That looks ideal; thanks.
There's a couple of cafes I like where there's nothing secure to lock the bike to, and although you can sit outside with the bike, you have to go indoors or to a hatch to place your order, and then of course your back is turned ... not much problem in the summer tbh, but in winter I suspect I'll often be the only one sitting outside ...

Top Bottom