thin guy needs help with supplements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

photography27

hi, thin guy here, i can eat like a horse everyday for a year and still stay at 10 stone, plus with my cycling, i'm just wanting to put some weight on..........creatine, whey powder or anything else i should consider?
like i say, i eat well

stephec

Legendary Member
How old are you?

I was similar to you, until I hit thirty. I went up to thirteen stone after a few years off the bike, then started riding again and went down to twelve stone, with a bit more dieting I'm now down to just over eleven.

Most people I know seem to have slower metabolisms they older they get.

OP
OP
photography27

photography27

How old are you?

I was similar to you, until I hit thirty. I went up to thirteen stone after a few years off the bike, then started riding again and went down to twelve stone, with a bit more dieting I'm now down to just over eleven.

Most people I know seem to have slower metabolisms they older they get.

aged 38

Hont

Guru
I'm a similar weight, although a handful of years older, and I guess you just want to gain muscle rather than weight per se.

I strongly recommend taking on some additional protein to ensure that your diet is giving your body all the protein needed for muscle growth. It doesn't have to be whey protein, but the commercially available recovery drinks will contain this, are convenient to use and contain other vitamins and amino acids etc. to aid recovery. I generally have one within 15 minutes of coming in and then some other protein (aiming for at least 20g) an hour later. My weight has stayed quite stable doing this and fat has decreased (although I'm not aiming to put on weight so don't always eat much on the ride itself).

I don't know enough about Creatine to really comment, but I believe it helps muscle time to exhaustion and is therefore most suited to strength training. There are some concerns about long term side affects, I believe, so if you're just doing endurance rides I wouldn't bother.

If you just want to put on weight, regardless of whether it's lean muscle or fat, skip breakfast every day (which will slow your metabolism down) and eat ice cream with every meal. ;)

Zoiders

No to creatine - at ten stone wringing wet it's kidney failure in a bag.

It would be impossible for anyone to advise on weight gain without knowing what you actualy eat during day as in actual make up of your diet and calories plus what your actual mileage is like as well.

Too many miles in too spinny a gear can make you atrophy, you end up looking like a Burmha railway POW because you are effectively starving and over working yourself in the same way.

Being too thin does not help your cycling despite the old myths, your power to weight ratio can suffer and the lack of upper body strength and muscle coverage makes you very vulnerable to injuries in the even of an accident on the road or trail.

Top Bottom