Things I don't understand ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
1) Seen yesterday in the supermarket - mince pies, with a christmassy theme. At the beginning of September, fully four months before the birthday of the Big J himself. Bonkers.

Next time you're there look at the best before dates, they will be well before 25th December.

I like bottled water, I have a couple of large bottles stored for whenever the gas company digs up the wrong pipe :thumbsup:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
2 and 3 show the power of marketing and / or the idiocy or people.

Or, like me today, you just want a drink but don't have your much battered 15 year old SIG bottle with you....
Oh yeah, it doesn't even sit completely upright now it has so many bashes in it! :biggrin:

Actually, to be fair, the shop I use at the college is run by a charity, so if they get the money then who cares?

I love 'em, though they make me fart a lot.

In the days when I still had my large Intestine, I probably could have challenged you to a contest!
Seriously, I could have farted for Scotland :blush:

Not now, I haven't been able to fart since last October. :becool:

What I love is just after you don't touch the pump (or touch the pump, as the case might be), whaddya do? You turn on the tap! And then you turn off the tap again - yes, that INFESTED tap - which everyone touches before washing their hands. :wacko:

I used to put soap on the taps to clean them, precisely for this reason, and if I didn't clean it off properly, people complained, which I thought was somewhat ironic. :rolleyes:

(and if you do have pets or children drinking from the toilet bowl, I'm pretty sure drinking bleach isn't good for them either!)

*Slurp slurp slurp*...... What?

Give me less chemicals and more bacteria any day.

Yes, its called Real Ale :hyper::thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I guess at some point someone will have bottled hand washing water (with hands free dispensing?) for washing your hands after they have been in tap water.

Wow. You design the labels, and I'll see about getting us on Dragon's Den.

(oh, and Fnaar, elbow taps are good - not for hygiene especially, but for turning on when you have very dirty or slippery hands - fr'instance when you've been making pastry or something)

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Kneading cleans your hands up a treat, homemade salty playdough is even better!
smile.gif

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Thats because bottled water is essentially a naturally pure product.

Whereas tap water is pretty much recycled urine and waste products....mmmm, tasty

There's nowt wrong wi' drinking recycled piss! So long as they take out all the harmful stuff and you end up with bog ordinary H2O, I don't see a problem! Surely bottled water is, in a way, also recycled piss - you urinate (along with the billions of other animals on the planet), it evaporates, comes back down as rain, seeps through the rocks into a natural spring - et voila! Recycled piss.
cool.gif

Thats because bottled water is essentially a naturally pure product.

Whereas tap water is pretty much recycled urine and waste products....mmmm, tasty

ISTR that Coca Cola got in trouble for bottling tap water and selling it as bottled water.
Think it went down like a lead balloon though. Ah, wait, Wikipedia is your friend: seems that other countries still have the product (bottled tap water) but in the UK:

United Kingdom
Dasani was launched in the UK on 10 February 2004. The product launch was labelled "a disaster",[sup][6][/sup] a "fiasco"[sup][7][/sup] and a "PR catastrophe".[sup][7][/sup]

Early advertisements referred to Dasani as "bottled spunk" or featured the tagline "can't live without spunk". These slogans were used seemingly oblivious to the fact that spunk is slang for semen in the UK.[sup][8][/sup][sup][9][/sup]

Prior to the launch, an article in The Grocer trade magazine had mentioned that the source of the Dasani brand water was in fact treated tap water from Sidcup, a suburban development in London. By early March 2004, the mainstream press had picked up on the story[sup][10][/sup] and it became widely reported that Sidcup tap water was being treated, bottled and sold under the Dasani brand name in the UK.[sup][6][/sup] Although Coca-Cola never implied that the water was being sourced from a spring or other natural source, they marketed it as being especially "pure". This led the Food Standards Agency to request Hillingdon trading standards officers to launch an investigation into whether the claim was accurate.[sup][11][/sup]

Richard May, Chief Publicity Officer of Dasani, was said to be disappointed that the water had not been more successful.

The media made mocking parallels with an episode of the well-known BBC sitcom Only Fools and Horses, in which protagonist Del Boy attempts to pass off local tap water as bottled "Peckham Spring".[sup][6][/sup] Del's scheme fails when he pollutes the local reservoir, causing the bottled water to glow yellow.

On 18 March 2004, UK authorities found a concentration of bromate, a suspected human carcinogen, in the product that could be considered harmful if consumed in large quantities. Coca-Cola immediately recalled half a million bottles and pulled the "Dasani" brand from the UK market.[sup][12][/sup] Shortly after, plans to introduce the brand to Continental Europe were announced to have been cancelled as well. Bromate was not present in the water before Coca-Cola's treatment process. During that process the bromate was produced from the water's bromide.

Fiona N

Veteran
I published some data for Swiss mineral waters based on analyses by a colleague. We had to remove the names of the waters as many of them contained levels of radon (jep, same stuff as comes out of granite in Cornwall, Devon and Derbyshire) which could be dangerous to health. So much for pure natural mineral waters :whistle:

In the past, of course, a good dose of radon was considered beneficial to health and Swiss spas had an 'inhalatorium' where one could 'take' the radon in a steam bath or similar. Nowadays spa workers have rather high radiation exposures in many places (with natural spa waters - Champneys and the like may be bad for your wallet but not this) - although not as bad as long-haul airline crews.

Top Bottom