Things I have learned today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
1) I can indeed change an inner tube now that I have been shown how.
2) I can go up hill when I use my gears properly.
3) I can use the highest gears without my legs falling off.
4) Riding more than 10 miles in a day will not kill me and will make me feel fabulous.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1) Good
2) Good
3) Good
5) Good

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

More things I have learned.

1) The lowest gear possible will get you up the hill slowly but surely
2) Drink more water than you think
3) Bruises on your legs are badges of honour (in my world anyway)
4) Weird bruises on your neck can appear after cycling for 16 miles for the first time
5) Going down Pitchcott Hill on your bike at age 40 makes you feel like you are 12 years old again!

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

1) The chaps in the bike shop are lovely and do not mind me asking stupid questions while they fit the mudguards to my bike
2) Mudguards are fab
3) Going out in the morning an hour before work so you can double your journey makes you feel smug
4) People seem to find the sight of a larger lady on a bike fascinating.
5) The more I ride my bike, the more I love it.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

1) The chaps in the bike shop are lovely and do not mind me asking stupid questions while they fit the mudguards to my bike
2) Mudguards are fab
3) Going out in the morning an hour before work so you can double your journey makes you feel smug
4) People seem to find the sight of a larger lady on a bike fascinating.
5) The more I ride my bike, the more I love it.
Easy now, you'll be talking about doing sportives, group rides, upgrading your bike, buying new gear to wear, etc..... next.:okay:

OP
OP
Smithbat

Smithbat

Easy now, you'll be talking about doing sportives, group rides, upgrading your bike, buying new gear to wear, etc..... next.:okay:
I have already bought padded shorts, they are a godsend and I can wear looser clothes over the top!
Do mudguards count as an upgrade?
I am so not going on a group ride yet. I get nervous if Him Indoors gets too close, let alone other people...lol

Karlt

Again, I have learnt how important wind is and how you can't compare one day's performance with another. Coming in yesterday and today - 15mph, around 120W average. Going home yesterday, 17mph, 190W. Difference? A steady north wind.

Top Bottom